Advice on getting a wormery?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on getting a wormery?

I've been thinking of getting a wormery for a while and have just noticed a couple of sales. Does anyone have any pros/cons they could tell me about? There are five of us, so I'm looking at getting a largish one. Cost is less crucial than efficiency.

These are the sale sites I've been browsing:

Wormeries - Bestselling Wormeries from the Wormery Inventors : Original Organics Ltd

Wormcity Wormeries Winter Sale Now On

Info on other sellers welcome of course! I know you can make your own but I'd prefer to just buy one really!
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

We have a can-o-worms. Its great but there are only two of us.

Whatever variety you choose I'd have thought that a 'stackable' one is easiest to use. Otherwise you have to empty all the contents to get at the 'wormgold', also one with a tap for 'liquid gold'!

Have a search of the threads because this is a question that has been asked before. Also there is a website (the one that does cheap composters for your local council) that does cheap wormeries for certain areas.

Here's the older thread

wormery

executive wormery - looks interesting, but no legs. Would probably be okay on bricks though.

Recycle now - In Your Area
    Last edited by smallblueplanet; 06-01-2008, 05:48 PM.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Thanks for the links SBP. I'm quite tempted by the Executive one - like the idea of buying the basic one to see how it goes but still have the option of extending it if we want to later.

That Recycle Now site is very handy too!

Comment

Was it somewhere on here that someone posted the links to Youtube vids of setting up a can-o-worms?

Edit - remembered now was in the wigglywigglers e-newsletter

maintaining a wormery pt2 -there's pt1 as well, setting it up, but its so twee I couldn't link to it! The bloke is informative though.
        Last edited by smallblueplanet; 06-01-2008, 06:10 PM.
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

IF you do get a wormery,please don't pay an exhorbitant price for the worms to start you off(THe Wiggly Worm people wanted a silly ammount for mine!!)
          Let me know and I will send some from my wormery.

Comment

I too have a Can of Worms and it's great and dead easy to use so long as you don't overload in the first few months to let it get going properly. Mine was a birthday pressie a few years ago but I note that you can get the full kits subsidised by our council via the Recycle now - Recyclenow Homepage (or whatever it's called) so you probably can from other councils also.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks Polly - I'll be in touch if I need some

Thanks Alison -it looks like the Can o Worms is cheaper via Recycle Now for me too - need to look at all the options properly later.

Comment

the wormcity wormery comes highly recommended by me.
                i was given the value executive for xmas and i love it.

you need to put it on bricks, but it is very sturdy and huge.
                the reason i chose this one was because of the size.
                we have 3 very fussy kids, and lots of food waste this was the biggest on the market, cheapest and best value

hope that helps someone

sam

Comment

Thanks Sam. Fussy kids in residence here too, so that's useful to know!

Welcome to the 'Vine btw!

Comment

Hope you have success with your wormcity wormery.

I tried one of the original wormeries and had a few problems -the worms either escaped or died. Not being one to be deterred I decided to make my own.

It's made of wood supported on engineering bricks over a sand base, has wire mesh to keep out non-invited guests and is long enough that I can move feeding from one end to the other to allow for removal of compost - takes a few months to ween them across. This has been successfully in use for some 18 months now with none of the earlier issues.

Comment

I've just bought a wormcity wormery too. It hasn't arrived yet, but has anyone got any tips on setting up, or just general advice please?

Comment

I've got a Can of Worms, not too sure about the wormcity ones. I'd advise you to start feeding slowly, especially at this time of year as your worms won't be eating as much in the cold. For some really good advice go to The Recycle Works Worm Forum: :: View Forum - Worm Forum - the guys on there know loads and can answer most queries!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

highly recommend Origanal Organics. We have their 'original ' one had it in operation for a couple of weeks now and its great. Got £99 deal with book, jacket etc. More than happy. The company are great to deal with as well.

Comment

wigglerly wigglers have a half price slightly scuffed wormery. I got one inc worms and other stuff for £47 bargin. It had a slight scuff mark on it but nothing that effected it's performance

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X