Anybody able to recomend a good mandoline

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody able to recomend a good mandoline

As the title says, anybody got a good mandoline that they could recomend? Been thinking about getting one for ages but no idea which ones are any good and don't want to waste my money.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Mine is a Borner - made in Germany. It belonged to my Dad who died 6 years ago and he had it for years. It does thin slices, julienne strips and chips. That's all I ask of it. No doubt there are some that do more. I couldn't tell you how much it cost though.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Oh that confused me, I thought you were musical Alison. Oops!
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

OH uses ours every time he cuts up veg. I don't use it as often as he does but we wouldn't be without it.

We use ours pretty much as Flummery does and, as she says there must be more things you can do with it (for instance we have a waffle chip cutter that we have never used) Don't know what the make is but there are some really good ones on the market and I think I saw a stainless steel one recently.

Easy to wash too, just swish them about in hot soapy water or pop into the dishwasher.

One thing though: Don't use it without the handle thingy - the blade is super sharp
        A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
          Oh that confused me, I thought you were musical Alison. Oops!

A banjo might be more heavy duty!
          I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

I have a fairly sturdy high-density plastic one, when I get back from work tomorrow I shall check which manufacturer.... If you can find a steel one, however, go for that, as having a rigid base (the bit with the blade that you slice things on) is very helpful.
            Also helpful is the advice about using the guard. I now have a 2cm scar on my right thumb from enthusiastically slicing up an apple to make apple-crisps with, only forgetting to stop in time before adding a few 'unorthodox' slivers into the mix..... Damn sore for weeks and put an end to guitar strumming for a coupla months!!!!
            Oh well, at least I havent done that again!

Cheers,
            Adam

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far, look forward to the offers of folks to check what types they have.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

alison did you get one? i got one from robert dyas. kitchen kraft 7-in-1 mandoline and grater. it does the job, cost £9.99. but i did have to compost a bit of my thumb! and my mum had an accident with it too. so ALWAYS use the safety thing!!

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
                  A banjo might be more heavy duty!
                  I'm so heavy handed a double Bass would be apt.
                  The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                  Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by cede View Post
                    alison did you get one? i got one from robert dyas. kitchen kraft 7-in-1 mandoline and grater. it does the job, cost £9.99. but i did have to compost a bit of my thumb! and my mum had an accident with it too. so ALWAYS use the safety thing!!
                    No, not got one yet as most of the ones I could see were upto £30 which seemed a lot to me for something I wouldn't use THAT much. A tenner sounds much better, where did you get it?

Comment

Originally posted by HairyGecko View Post
                      I have a fairly sturdy high-density plastic one, when I get back from work tomorrow I shall check which manufacturer.... If you can find a steel one, however, go for that, as having a rigid base (the bit with the blade that you slice things on) is very helpful.
                      Also helpful is the advice about using the guard. I now have a 2cm scar on my right thumb from enthusiastically slicing up an apple to make apple-crisps with, only forgetting to stop in time before adding a few 'unorthodox' slivers into the mix..... Damn sore for weeks and put an end to guitar strumming for a coupla months!!!!
                      Oh well, at least I havent done that again!

Cheers,
                      Adam
                      I think mine is Borner - and I'm scared of it! Love the idea, but came very close to shredding my hand. And washing up..... cripes, those blades are sharp.
                      All at once I hear your voice
                      And time just slips away
                      Bonnie Raitt

Comment

I have my late Dad's Borner. It is a bit fierce but you just need to treat it with respect. I've never had an accident with it. As to whether you'd get your money's worth - once you've got one you see so many more uses!
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Cripes
                          Gave mine to the charity shop, only used it 3 times but any more usage and I would have needed a blood transfusion
                          Sue

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X