Jam strainer?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jam strainer?

What do you use to strain your jam/jelly?

Is this any good?

Kitchen Craft Jam Straining Kit Bag & Stand KCJAMSTRAIN on eBay (end time 30-Sep-09 15:51:54 BST)

or this?

Tala Jam Straining Kit - Frame and Bag Set for Fruits and Preserves: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

I have Lakeland's stand and jelly bags, it's a tall wire tripod affair, painted with red. The jelly bags are great, but the stand is too tall for me to pour into when it's on the bench, and, the paint is flaking off too. So, I wouldn't recommend that one

Not being able to see them 'in person' so to speak, I'm not sure about those 2, but I think I'd go for the eBay one - it looks sturdier and lower so should cope with a bit of weight and be easier to pour into.

Comment

SBP, I occasionally use the eBay one (didn't get it off eBay though) and it works well, is quite strong, stores flat, cleans easily etc... can't speak to t'other one. BUT I use it for yogurt and cheesy type things but don't use it, or any strainer, for jam jelly preferring the continental steam juicer recommended by PW way back in 2006, see
      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...icing_576.html
      I keep flagging up the brilliance of this particular gadget and keep being shot down but it uses a different approach to the problem and produces a product of a different order... A pal who previously had been Chair of her local WI asked me how I got jam jelly so consistently clear and I said I strained it through my socks but that was a fib, I don't strain it at all but use a continental steam juicer..... b.

Comment

I use a steam juicer too - get more juice than by straining so more jelly YUMMY!
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
          I use the kitchen craft one and have found it works very well. The bag does get a bit stained, but it always washes out.

It cost £8.94 from a local store. Kitchen Craft Jam Strainer Kit

Comment

Thanks everyone, I think I'll try the red plastic one (the OH is a bit of a shorty! ). Better go see if there's any blackberries, sloes & crab apples now then!

Sorry bazza the steamer is somewhat out of my price range (just spent all our dosh on a week in Crete! ).
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I have the Lakeland one too. It's faffy to set up. I use a Lakeland jelly bag, tied up with cord and fastened to the kitchen cupboard door handle.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

i have the lakeland one too and yes its hilarious to set up and last time i used it the bag got so heavy it slipped down with an enormous splash.....however i have never seen one for sale here in france so i'm staying faithful to my lakeland one.....
                http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                  Sorry bazza... just spent all our dosh on a week in Crete! .
                  hmmm, a week in Crete or a jar of jam???? Tough choice! b.

Comment

I used Enviromesh doubled up..............worked great!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Did it keep the caterpillars out of your jam too Snadge?
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Sorry, I'm a real cheapskate, and have a very small kitchen plus visiting grandchildren and a doggie houseguest so I really haven't the room to set up a proper jellybag arrangement. Been making do with tying my strainer (either muslin or clean popsocks) tied to the support thingy for the eye level grill of my cooker. Has worked well so far.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X