X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dig On for Victory

Has anyone read this one? I'm adding it to my stocking

Product Description

Mr Middleton was the Alan Titchmarsh of his time, and that time was during the last war, when the nation hung on to his every word during his BBC radio programmes on gardening. He was the first media gardener, exhorting us to Dig for Victory, Dig for Dear Life, and (as in this book) advising us that "An Allotment is like the army. The first month is the worst: after that you begin to enjoy it".

In 2008 Aurum re-published with success his wartime book Digging for Victory; now here is a second, first published in 1945 - a guide to what to plant, and how, and when, all through the year, from Celeriac to Strawberries. Reproduced in facsimile, it is full of sensible tips, as well as period advertisements for Mushrooms as a War Food Crop and The Value of Cloches (since, "as Mr Middleton advises us, 'Available food will have to be shared with a starving Europe, which may mean even greater sacrifices for us'").

Qualcast advertise their mowers, even though they admit no new ones have been made since 1940, forcing the old ones "to do sturdy and efficient work through the war". And, as Mr Middleton reflects, looking towards a new post-war dawn of peace, "Won't it be grand when we can sit on the old garden seat, and listen to the birds instead of the sirens...?" Sage, gruff, touching and especially relevant to these new times of thrift, Mr Middleton's All-Year-Round Gardening guide is the perfect gift for 2009. Mr Middleton was the BBC's "famous gardener" on the radio during the war.
    aka
    Suzie

It sound's wonderful pisk, I enjoy old fashioned books, I had this one bought for me for my Birthday it's called "CHERRY CAKE AND GINGER BEER" By Jane Brocket, it's like reading "Enid Blyton" with recipe's, it's full of all the great childhood recipes that are in childrens books, I've popped a link on for you.
    Jane Brocket (Yarnstorm Blog)
    Last edited by ginger ninger; 18-10-2009, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Oh dear, and I was trying to get rid of books, not collect more! Great choices Piskie and Ginger and deffo on my wish list this Xmas.
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Just found this at the back of the bookshelf! So chuffed - more bedtime reading!
        Attached Files
        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X