folding chair with storage?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• folding chair with storage?

I have seen these in lots of magazines etc, it's like a folding stool/chair with a metal frame and canvas seat with a storage bag underneath and pockets for your tools. I would like to get one of these for my mum for christmas as she has problems with her back and finds it difficult kneeling, and such, when she's gardening. I was wondering if anyone had one of these and if so, how sturdy they are. My mum's quite overweight and I don't want to get her something she can't use.
    Thanks!

Sab x

My neighbour uses one of these and likes it.

I made a cheapo version by gaffer taping several of these together to make a thick pad.
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 29-11-2009, 08:24 AM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Neptune Fishing Creel/Chair FUT182

SPECIFICATIONS
      Material: Polyester, Steel frame
      Size: 20 x 32 x 42 cm
      Colours: 2 Tone Green
      Weight: 1.8Kg

Made by Gelert and should be availale in most camping stores for about £10.

Or with a back rest, but not that easy to carry.

Comment

I have one of those two TS - good points: you can have it down low as in the picture or use it as a seat turned up the other way. Bad points - as it is for outdoors, it is easily tipped over on uneven ground - also I find folding it up a real pain as the securing bars are spring loaded and quite firm. Also there isn't any storage. How about looking at a fisherman's box/seat? Most of the fishermen round here are not exactly sylph like so it should be sturdy enough!
        Wrex and I were on precisely the same wavelength just then. Spooky!
        Last edited by Jeanied; 29-11-2009, 08:29 AM.
        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I use a kneeler, in fact we have 2 at the lottie and one in the garden. I find it hard to get up and down due to my elbow injury - I don't garden without it. I don't use a metal folding one though, I have a lightweight plastic one [well, three]. One of them was bought cheaper from Tescos of all places and I would recommend the more expensive one, it is more sturdy on getting up and down from the kneeling position.

I also use it to sit on when harvesting and depodding peas and beans; and to have a drink and listen to the birds. As it is plastic, it is not cold to sit on even in the depths of winter.

It is this one that I use:
          http://www.workshopping.co.uk/produc...nd-Seat/76763/
          Last edited by zazen999; 29-11-2009, 08:45 AM.

Comment

How about this little fella?
            Garden Hopper - Step2 Official UK website

Comment

The best thing I have found are knee pads as used by carpet fitters etc.They go wherever you go..............Yes I do also have a bad back.......
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

So Sabulous this will hinge (with a wink to BM's signature line!) on whether your Mum can get up and down onto her knees easily enough - that's the carpet layer's padded knees or flat kneeler option - or if she needs the kneeler to be raised slightly with a handle to grab hold of - in which case it is the kneeler stool option - or whether she needs to sit down and work - which is the hopper / fisherman's seat option!
                Last edited by Jeanied; 29-11-2009, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                  How about this little fella?
                  Garden Hopper - Step2 Official UK website
                  Thanks Jeanied - that's solved one of my present problems!
                  All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                  Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Wow, thanks guys! My mum an't reaaly kneel, or get up and down easily, she has some oint problems. She always stands and bends down which, I've decided, can't be good... So, I'll def look into the fishermans chair and the hopper thing!

sab x

Comment

That pretty much sums it up! Thanks!

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                      So Sabulous this will hinge (with a wink to BM's signature line!) on whether your Mum can get up and down onto her knees easily enough - that's the carpet layer's padded knees or flat kneeler option - or if she needs the kneeler to be raised slightly with a handle to grab hold of - in which case it is the kneeler stool option - or whether she needs to sit down and work - which is the hopper / fisherman's seat option!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X