Rice Cookers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rice Cookers

I'm generally pretty successful at cooking rice (by the absorption method) but there's always that little bit of tension as I lift the lid. Will the rice be perfect or not just its best
    I saw a rice cooker in Argos for £7.99 so the price seems to have come way down. The question is, are they any good ? Do they only make plain rice or can anything be added ? Is there any benefit or is it just a gadget I don't need ?
    Anybody got one and what do you think ?

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Oh I love to live on the edge Alice so I don't need a rice cooker. Look forward to seeing what people who own one say tho'
    Friends who have lived in Japan say that nearly all young Japanese use rice cookers, but then they do eat rice with every meal.
    Last edited by supersprout; 17-01-2007, 01:48 PM.
    SSx
    not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

My rice always seemed to come out sticky- so I gave up with 'normal' rice and just use sticky fragrant Thai rice...and it comes out perfect every time!!!
      I prefer the flavour too fortunately!!
      Never used a rice cooker- sorry.
      Last edited by Nicos; 17-01-2007, 01:53 PM.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I've never thought about getting one, my rice usually turns out fine as my brother gave me a tip from working in an Indian restaurant. Parboil the rice to halfway, put in a sieve, rinse well in hot water and shake off the excess. Put it back in the pan with a tight lid and low heat, the rice will absorb the rest of the water as steam. No need to wash before cooking, no need to measure any water. Good, if not perfect, results everytime. My kitchen is cluttered enough without one more gadget I don't really need!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Hi Alice,

I had one a while back and did not like it, it always over cooked slightly. New technology may be better.

I always find 1 cup rice, 2 cups water bring to boil and cover with foil for 11 mins makes it just right.

Be intrested to see what other methods the grapes use.

Mandy

Comment

A friend of mine used to use those those measurements ( as I do ) and once boiled, would take the pan off the heat, wrap it in a blanket, tuck it into the corner of the sofa and smother the bundle with cushions - no idea how long it was left there (??20mins maybe??)...and perfect results every time.

And yes..I do have an interesting bunch of mates...maybe that's why I fit in so well on the Vine eh???
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Nicos,

I could not wait for 20mins on the sofa, by the time the rice is cooked the smell of chilli/curry has me starving.

Such patience you have

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                I'm generally pretty successful at cooking rice (by the absorption method) but there's always that little bit of tension as I lift the lid. Will the rice be perfect or not just its best
                I saw a rice cooker in Argos for £7.99 so the price seems to have come way down. The question is, are they any good ? Do they only make plain rice or can anything be added ? Is there any benefit or is it just a gadget I don't need ?
                Anybody got one and what do you think ?
                It is just one of the many gadget on the market which people will buy as a new toy either for themself or to give as presents and invariabily they do turn up at car boot sales still unopened or maybe used once or twice. Rice is far too simple to cook, usually one part rice to two parts water/stock around twenty minutes cooking time for pilau rice from boiling point( oven method ) but it varies with the type of rice. I wouldn't buy one expecially an electrical one....wire.....plug........finding the socket...wire doesn't reach socket..no problem!! rice cooker is priority so...taking off the plug from another useless gadget..plugging in the new gadget..finding out that the previous gadget is in the way....moving it out of the way...finding out that it is greasy at the back....trying to clean it quickly whilst admiring your new gadget but forgetting its purpose etc etc luckly car boot time is not far away!!
                Don Vincenzo
                MINIMALISM IS GOOD....ESSENTIALISM EVEN BETTER

Comment

Thanks everybody for the replies. It's about what I thought myself. I'll carry on making the rice as before and keep that little frison in my life.

Comment

Alice - I couldn't cook rice for 20years! I even tried a rice cooker, but STILL got it wrong! However, I was looking through a Delia book a couple of months ago - tried her recipe for perfect rice and WOW! I can cook rice! I was so impressed I emailed Delia - and got a lovely reply back from her PA. Do try this before you go spending your £.

Serves 2 people

long grain white rice (I use basmati) measured to the 5fl oz (150ml) level in a glass measuring jug
                    boiling water or stock measured to the 10fl oz (275ml) in the jug
                    1 dessertspoon oil or 1/2oz butter (I use butter)
                    salt

Melt butter in a large, flat pan (I use my frying pan). Add the rice and stir so that the rice is coated with the butter. Don't allow to brown.
                    Add stock or water and salt and bring to the boil. Stir well once. Put on a tight fitting lid and turn the heat down to a simmer.
                    Do NOT take off the lid (I know its tempting to have a look and have a stir!) and let the rice cook for 15 minutes. (40 mins if its brown).
                    Take off the lid and have a test taste of the rice, if they are tender then you'll notice all the liquid has been absorbed.
                    Turn into a heated serving dish, fluffing up the grains and enjoy your perfect rice!

Do let me know how you get on! DDL
                    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
                      Alice - I couldn't cook rice for 20years! I even tried a rice cooker, but STILL got it wrong! However, I was looking through a Delia book a couple of months ago - tried her recipe for perfect rice and WOW! I can cook rice! I was so impressed I emailed Delia - and got a lovely reply back from her PA. Do try this before you go spending your £.

Serves 2 people

long grain white rice (I use basmati) measured to the 5fl oz (150ml) level in a glass measuring jug
                      boiling water or stock measured to the 10fl oz (275ml) in the jug
                      1 dessertspoon oil or 1/2oz butter (I use butter)
                      salt

Melt butter in a large, flat pan (I use my frying pan). Add the rice and stir so that the rice is coated with the butter. Don't allow to brown.
                      Add stock or water and salt and bring to the boil. Stir well once. Put on a tight fitting lid and turn the heat down to a simmer.
                      Do NOT take off the lid (I know its tempting to have a look and have a stir!) and let the rice cook for 15 minutes. (40 mins if its brown).
                      Take off the lid and have a test taste of the rice, if they are tender then you'll notice all the liquid has been absorbed.
                      Turn into a heated serving dish, fluffing up the grains and enjoy your perfect rice!

Do let me know how you get on! DDL
                      I am terribly sorry to say that the Delia rice recipe for perfect rice is not her recipe and I would define it as a long known cooking method for rice. However you can cook rice at last and that is what counts.
                      Bon Appetit
                      Don Vincenzo

Comment

Thanks DDL. That's about the method I use and yes, it does make very good rice. But as i said, there's just that little tension everytime as I lift the lid. Maybe I just worry too much !

Comment

It's all part of the fun of cooking! DDL
                          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Am probably being dim but what's difficult about cooking rice? I've always just boiled it until cooked in a load of water, drained in a seive and rinsed with boiling water. Only ever had problems when I've not been paying attention and overcooked it. Didn't realise you could get rice cookers and never thought of doing anything complicated with it either! Must have led a sheltered life!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I had a cheap rice cooker from Ikea, worked brilliantly, especially useful if your busy doing something else, as once the rice is cooked it turned over to keep warm moce, so never got cold or overcooked rice, was always perfect and very easy to use, yes it is a gadget, but definitely one I'd buy again! Shame ours broke after 5 years of use, but for a £10 it was good value!
                              Blessings
                              Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                              Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                              Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                              On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X