heated propagator suggestions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heated propagator suggestions

Anyone suggest any decent heated propagators?

For indoor use just starting chilli's and tom's

TIA.

I think B&Q do a reasonably priced 'seed tray' sized one - £13?
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I bought one of those (B&Q) last week. Not used it yet but seems reasonable quality.

Comment

I bought the £13 b&q one last year and it performs excellantly
        don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
        remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

there's some older threads on this, here's one: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...lly-worth.html
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I bought a B&Q one yesterday, decision was made thanks in part to the thread TS has linked to. It is very basic and seems to work just fine so I'm happy as it is only for my chilli seeds.

Comment

off to b&q at the weekend then. Thanks folks.

Comment

+1 B&Q bought last year and started off my melon pears in
                aka Neil

Comment

the B&Q one sounds ideal for what I want (toms and chilli's - possibly use it for starting my pink banana squash too as I could get them to germinate last year and I suspect it was because the temp wasn't consistant in the airing cupboard ) - off to B&Q today

Comment

I bought on yesterday too, pretty cool..

Do I need to be conerned about the condensation - leave it, or wipe it off?

Can I put it in an unheated (CH is off in there) bedroom? or should I put the rad on the lowest temp setting?

Comment

I leave the condensation as it means I water less often!
                      Currently in an unheated bedroom...

Also - if anyone still looking - a place called "Charlies Direct" sells the bigger ones at a reasonable price if you want bigger than B&Q...

S

Comment

Many years ago I saw an article on building propgater with heating cables that didn't use a sand base.
                        You bought the cable and temperature controller as a ready made item.
                        You spread the cable around a wooden frame and position in bottom of propogator.
                        I built a big propogator about 2.5 foot by 4 foot.
                        It is still going. It's very light and easy to dismantle.
                        It goes in the green house in spring and comes out when finished with.
                        Jimmy
                        Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

If I was keeping my seedlings in the prop once germinated I'd religiously wipe the condensation off as I'd be worried about damping off.

It may be overkill but the ones I left in the prop (although I now move most out within a day or so of germinating) never had any problems.

Comment

After they've germinated, where should they be kept? Currently have mine in seed trays, so going to get a few 2-3inch pots I think ready to pot on, just on a window sill? I've 5 south facing window sills, two of those rooms aren't heated though.

Comment

Once the seedlings have germinated, you don't need the lid unless you have one with vents in that you can open.
                              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                              -----------------------------------------------------------
                              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X