No announcement yet.

Hayfever Remedy that works

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you've got olbas oil around try putting a few drops on the edge of the bed.
    It helps me when I'm congested from anything including Hayfever.

Out of interest have you tried the homeopathic mixed pollen for over a month yet. My mum just adjusted mine to include grass pollens and I'm actually suffering less than my OH now. Yippee for me. Hope something works for you.
    Newbie gardener in Cumbria.
    Just started my own website on gardening:

http://angie.weblobe.net/Gardening/

Comment

Ah, I think I've cracked it.

I've been taking cetirizine (Piriton) all summer, and getting gradually worse.

The other day I picked up loratidine (Claritin) by mistake, and my symptoms have GONE ! I'm not even taking the pills any more.

so, was the piriton CAUSING my hayfever?
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Don't you get used to the medicine so it stops after a while??? I rotate mine on the off chance that I can manage to control it.

Mine only started 3 weeks ago. flippin' nightmare.

Comment

Hey two-sheds

Like a couple of the people above have recommended, I to would suggest you change the type of tablet you take every year (or sometimes mid season). I would also strongly recommend taking tablets, nasal spray and eye drops too. They generally all work very well together and enhance the over all affect. I think eye drops are the least used as many people think it’s only for people who get itchy eyes but they will provide other benefits as well.

Injections wise, there is a steroid (low dose) injection which is given at the beginning of the season and is generally very very effective. It does occasionally have to be topped up mid season if you are quite bad but it has been known to last into the following year. This is available on prescription but you would have to ask your GP for it specifically as they don’t generally like dishing steroids out willy nilly. They reserve such indiscretion for anti-biotic’s and thus contribute to the issue of super bugs but ill leave that rant for another time.

The whole honey and pollen tablet thing does work but it works allot better if you keep it up all year round. Unfortunately I think your success with Loratidine is most likely linked to a lower pollen count. I am sure they are having a better effect for you, but if you have stopped taking them and your still symptom free its most likely that the pollen count is low. Sadly the count is not as easy to predict as people think and the published pollen counts can be very misleading due to the various types of pollen about. That’s why people don’t suffer as much when they go abroad or to a different area of the country. Its not that there is no pollen, its just its very different pollen. All allergic reactions involve the body reacting to proteins, proteins in foreign pollen are very different, hence no (maybe) reaction.

If you are feeling particularly flush however, you may be pleased to know that there is now a cure! Well an almost perfect ‘vaccination’. It is not however available on the NHS and involves taking a tablet EVERY DAY for five years. I believe it currently costs about £60 a month but I could be wrong. It basically works in a very similar way to the honey/pollen tablets method. The tablets contain a specific type of pollen in very small amounts and it works by increasing your body’s tolerance of the pollen proteins by constant exposure. It’s similar to the desensitisation therapy used for other types of allergy. It’s a long haul though.

Grazax.com - Jumppage DocCheck

On the subject of cost though, I noticed people using the trade names a lot in their posts. Unless you are getting them on prescription (and getting several months at a time) I would avoid all the branded products like the plague. Just go to somewhere like Tesco or boots, look at the active ingredient of your preferred tablet and they purchase the shops own brad that has the same amount in it. At the end of the day it is exactly the same stuff, just less colourful packaging and about a quarter of the cost. When I got some from Tesco the other day its was a comparison of £4.99 vs 96p.

My main advise would be to use combinations of stuff both chemical and folk, and strongly consider asking your GP for the injection, even if you just have it every other year.

Do you have other allergies? and do you some times get an itchy mouth when eating fruit like apples and pears?
          "In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." - Aristotle (B.C. 384–322)

Comment

Originally posted by Peebels View Post
            On the subject of cost though...I would avoid all the branded products like the plague. Just go to somewhere like Tesco or boots, ...purchase the shops own brad
            yes, I do that with everything ... toothpaste, washing liquid ... its Own Brand all the way for me!

Originally posted by Peebels View Post
            Do you have other allergies? and do you some times get an itchy mouth when eating fruit like apples and pears?
            No, not allergic to anything else. Nada.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I was asking about the other allergies because its very common for people with multiple allergies to appear to be resistant to medication. Its normally a case of the dose being in effective against the vast amounts of histamine such individuals create. You must just have very bad heyfever. I us the word “just” with caution there because im sure its not “just” hey fever to you. I can sympathise with you, I have longstanding hey fever and face the same problems you talk about. Some years are good some are bad.
              "In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." - Aristotle (B.C. 384–322)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X