No announcement yet.

PC Security

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is getting ridiculous - I now have adds popping up at the bottom of the screen as well as at both sides. Some are videos and most annoying. I have managed (I think) to uninstall MSE, but I can't get rid of the ads or message alerts. My son isn't coming until tomorrow - hellllllllllllllllpppppppppppp!

I got a grip and found some little crosses on the various boxes, so they have gone for the time being, but I dare say they'll be back. It's All Souls Day today not Halloween!
    Last edited by Florence Fennel; 01-11-2014, 02:25 PM.
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I am now a techy nerd (in my opinion), I've done it!
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

malware bytes only for me....

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
          I am now a techy nerd (in my opinion), I've done it!
          You might have closed them down but they might come back on startup.
          I never use stuff from microsoft they download allsorts you dont want.
          Put avg free in google there will be a lot of places doing it.

Look underneath all the free ones and look for AVG then it is comming from the right place.

If you cannot get rid of popups d/load popup blocker.
          cheers Peter

Comment

Originally posted by 21up View Post
            If you cannot get rid of popups d/load popup blocker.
            It sounds like Malware to me, and has nothing to do with installing Microsoft product, it will have been some AD or link that was, unsuspectingly, clicked on which has now installed a Malware payload and as such a popup blocker won't fix that, the underlying malicious code needs removing. (Malwarebytes would be a good tool to download and use to get rid of it)

Originally posted by 21up View Post
            Put avg free in google there will be a lot of places doing it.
            Problem with AVG it that is isn't free, not in the sense that "air" is, they make their money from either subscription or people taking up their optional offers for Ad Ons.

Problem is that at each update there are boxes that need unticking to avoid either paying for it, or downloading some toollbar or similar. For the unweary accidentally downloading Toolbars is a similar nuisance to the popup ads from Malware.
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Avast Virus Updates are automatic. It doesn't require any box ticking except when your annual Free subscription expires, when you have the option to upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Avast Virus Updates are automatic. It doesn't require any box ticking except when your annual Free subscription expires, when you have the option to upgrade.
                I wonder what happens after the initial free period ends? I am using AVG, rather than Avast, and I get an Upgrade screen once a month (or thereabouts) and have to be careful to deselect options that I don't want). I've had it installed for ages, so I will be well past any initial free period, (I don't have a paid-for subscription).

Comment

I've been using Avast for several years, Kristen. Its always been free to use. When you renew it, each year, you have the option of Free or Upgrade. I stick with Free

Comment

Problem with AVG it that is isn't free, not in the sense that "air" is, they make their money from either subscription or people taking up their optional offers for Ad Ons.

Problem is that at each update there are boxes that need unticking to avoid either paying for it, or downloading some toollbar or similar. For the unweary accidentally downloading Toolbars is a similar nuisance to the popup ads from Malware.

Of course things are not free we all know that.
                    As regards you must tick this and that the thing to do with anything is read first ,if you cannot be bothered reading .
                    then what you click or dont click is down to you.

There is always an option read and find Simples
                    cheers Peter

Comment

The checkboxes are deliberately made to appear "normal" to catch the unwary. That's why I made the point about them not being free. Sure you can carefully read the content but I myself have fallen victim to such traps - one month they swap the boxes around, or introduce a double negative in the question, and the thing you have got used to doing month in, month out, becomes the very thing that you have been carefully avoiding and Wham! you have installed the toolbar-payload, or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                        I have windows defender on mine it comes with windows, is that not an anti virus prog?
                        Depending on what version of windows you're running, then yes it is. If you open the security control centre (sorry, don't know what it's called or where to find it- it pops up on servers/machines in work when you login -- I don't use windows other than at work so am not that familiar with it) it'll tell you if your system is protected or not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X