Welcome from Worksop

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome from Worksop

I have been tackling the weeds on a plot that has not been cultivated for several years a couple of miles or so from Worksop.
    My biggest intact dock root so far was 20 inches long.
    It looks like we will have to wait patiently for a photo as my account is not fully approved yet.
    Some of the plants I have put in are beginning to show signs that they are growing and some of the seeds are up to there teething leaves.
    My first problem has been a lack of frost after I turned over all those blocks of clay soil so they will have to be smashed with the back of a shovel while they are dry. That will save me from joining a gym
    I built the rain water overflow first and as soon as I put the storage tank in that wretched rain finally stopped. A single frog has arrived but no spawn unless another turns up. Photo later...
    I spotted many fingernail sized toads emerging from local ponds last year and have seen many of those. They have not grown big enough for spawning this year though. At least they are big enough to eat slugs now.
    I bought some wild bird seed last year and the house sparrows ignored it. I found a bird feeder in the shed when I took the plot on last December and loaded it up with the seed the sparrows turned there beaks up at and two pairs of gold finches came and squabbled over it. It didn't go to waste after all. I have managed to get another bag of bird seed without having to wait all over again after doing food shopping. We will see if the gold finches will take to supermarket bird seed in a few days.
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Welcome neighbour from Shireoaks, where abouts is your plot?
    Cheers

Danny

Comment

Hello from down the road P70. Welcome to the Vine
      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
        I have been tackling the weeds on a plot that has not been cultivated for several years a couple of miles or so from Worksop.
        My biggest intact dock root so far was 20 inches long.
        It looks like we will have to wait patiently for a photo as my account is not fully approved yet..
        Hello Plot70 and welcome to the vine
        After you've made around 10-ish posts you'll be able to upload photos so keep posting
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Hello and welcome from the clay of the French Pyrenees
          Our sparrows ignore the bird feeder and will only take what we personally scatter outside the kitchen door for them
          Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi and welcome from sunshiny South Wales (though not today!).
            Sounds like a great plot for wildlife. I expect the sparrows are waiting for something tasty to eat - like your veg.

Comment

Welcome, tell us what you are growing this year, that will soon lift the post count

Comment

Hi and welcome to the vine

Comment

Originally posted by broadway View Post
                  Welcome neighbour from Shireoaks, where abouts is your plot?
                  My plot is at Morven street in Creswell.
                  I took the plot on in December so I have been doing a lot of muddy work getting ready for planting out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                    Hello Plot70 and welcome to the vine
                    After you've made around 10-ish posts you'll be able to upload photos so keep posting
                    Cheers.
                    I will patiently reply to lots of welcomes and soon I will be able to share my weeding experience with you.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      Hi and welcome from sunshiny South Wales (though not today!).
                      Sounds like a great plot for wildlife. I expect the sparrows are waiting for something tasty to eat - like your veg.
                      They usually feed there chicks with caterpillars.
                      I have not seen them pinching veg before.
                      I know that bullfinches pinch buds if you don't keep the feeder stocked.

Comment

Hello again

Comment

HI welcome to the vine,hope all goes well for you,but keep an eye out for them pigeons,they will strip any greens bare
                          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
                            My plot is at Morven street in Creswell.
                            I took the plot on in December so I have been doing a lot of muddy work getting ready for planting out.
                            Ok nice one Plot70

I got mine June last year and spent about 2 months getting through the forest then covering in membrane. I had good intentions to dig late last year early this year then the clouds opened as you know!!

Forward to now I have 3 raised beds on the go and am digging the rest of the plot in instalments, marathon not a sprint!!

If we can take any positives from the current world issues I am spending more time at the allotment although I can only do 2 - 3 hours hard graft before I'm knackered!

Good luck with your plot, plenty of pictures please
                            Cheers

Danny

Comment

Hi and welcome from lush Lincolnshire here, Plot 70! I hope you have a lovely stay here at the Grapevine!
                              https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X