X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Plot70 welcome from the Emerald Isle

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
      HI welcome to the vine,hope all goes well for you,but keep an eye out for them pigeons,they will strip any greens bare
      I agree about the pigeons. The good thing about them is they are territorial so you only need to put down wild bird seed for two.
      In my back garden I had a problem that had to be solved with an electric fence. It was mainly bored domestic cats that were digging up seedlings. If you don't feed them they spend there time hunting for rats and do not get bored and start pestering birds and so on.
      It worked and the home made contraption that ran from a wall wart could be made to run from a scooter battery if needed. It is netting over plastic decking with a faster pulse rate and lower power to stop pigeons pecking at cabbages. It gives them something like licking the terminals on a 9V battery every time they peck. Lighter birds that pick off caterpillars land directly on the plant and do not complete the circuit. It is a much lower voltage because they make direct contact between there feet and the plant with there beak. Just enough that you can feel it with your finger will do if I have a problem.
      Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Originally posted by broadway View Post
        Ok nice one Plot70

I got mine June last year and spent about 2 months getting through the forest then covering in membrane. I had good intentions to dig late last year early this year then the clouds opened as you know!!

Forward to now I have 3 raised beds on the go and am digging the rest of the plot in instalments, marathon not a sprint!!

If we can take any positives from the current world issues I am spending more time at the allotment although I can only do 2 - 3 hours hard graft before I'm knackered!

Good luck with your plot, plenty of pictures please
        It was very wet and the clay soil was very heavy but I blasted on thru the rain.
        The previous plot holder left a petrol can marked petrol for lawn mower and two bottles of lawn greening fluid. They had been cultivating couch grass. Once the attachment permission lights up I will share a photo of all those roots and the pickling mounds based on the design of loam heaps that I am using to deal with the problem.
        The compacted clay soil is coming up in slabs now it is dry making loam heap walls more like stone walls. There has been no frost so the clay blocks did not crumble. I am having to smash them with a brickies shovel if I am not using them for loam heaps.

Comment

Welcome.....
          Northern England.

Comment

It is good news today.
            My go advanced button is now on so as promised in post#1 we have lovely photos to look at.
            I did promise a photo of my pride and joy of weeding.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5692E.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	514.6 KB
ID:	2387026
            And my first frog in the water butt overflow pool.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5804E.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	360.8 KB
ID:	2387027

Comment

Hello and welcome. Best wishes for a great growing year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X