Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

Hello there
    Looking forward to reading lots on this forum. I have a scruffy garden that has been low priority over the years. We've done some the basics when we had time -eg, a yearly hedge trim and mowed the grass when we had to. I've been raising a family, with a daughter who has had a lot of health issues, plus working and the garden was the last thing on the ' to do' list - if it was even on the list in the first place. So now having some spare time in lockdown I've decided to make up for those lost years and give it some long needed attention.
    So far I have planted some grass seed on the bald lawn patches and it's worked! woo hoo!
    I've tidied up about 3 years worth of leaves and lots of primroses have sprung up at the back of the garden.
    Also attempting some veg growing as going to the shops isn't a lot of fun at the moment, and to give a sense of hope!
    We have a south facing garden so I've put a shelf up by the glass patio doors where I am growing some seedlings - it's like an indoor greenhouse in our lounge!
    I'm growing tomatoes, sprouting broccolli, black beauty courgettes and some basil. I have some seed potatoes on the windowsill sprouting and hope to put them in a patio container when the soil I ordered has arrived. Also I will soon be constructing a small raised vegetable patch which should arrive this week and hope to grow carrots, lettuce and transfer the brocolli and courgettes to it. Will be putting the tomatoes in some grow bags when they arrive. Also awaiting in the post some patio cucumbers and patio peppers.
    Am a complete novice so learning as I go! So far so good, the seeds seem to have mostly hatched and sprouted! But I'm guessing that's the easy bit!
    Nice to be here

Welcome to the vine

Comment

Welcome along, any questions, just ask.

Comment

Hello gonetoseed and welcome to the vine
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Hello and welcome. Sounds like you've got a grand project going there.

Everything seems to be going along swimmingly, but I'm not sure I'd leave your potatoes chitting on a windowsill. Better somewhere cool and light but out of direct sunshine.

Best of luck for a great growing year.

Comment

Hello from me too gts, welcome to the Vine!
            Last edited by Jay22; 21-04-2020, 08:17 AM. Reason: Sp.
            sigpic

Comment

Hello and welcome to the Vine
              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine.
                I too have the sliding glass doors/living room/greenhouse set up with an ugly metal set of shelving on wheels at this time of the year!
                Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Great username

Comment

Welcome, gonetoseed!

Originally posted by gonetoseed View Post
                    So now having some spare time in lockdown I've decided to make up for those lost years and give it some long needed attention.
                    Same here. In fact I'm in a very similar position, the only difference being that I did do quite a bit of veg gardening about a decade ago, until life got too busy. Lockdown has been a wonderful excuse to "reboot" my garden, and I'm looking forward to sowing lots of lettuce, French beans and other summer/autumn crops now I've finally got my hands on some seeds.

Lots of great advice here - hope to see you around!

Comment

Hello and welcome, lets us know roughly where you live , it helps when answering some of the questions. I live NE Scotland near the sea, so that helps folk give answers to some of my daft questions.

Comment

Welcome to the Vine!

Originally posted by gonetoseed View Post
                        So far so good, the seeds seem to have mostly hatched and sprouted! But I'm guessing that's the easy bit!
                        Nice to be here
                        "Mostly hatched and sprouted" Hatched - I love that!
                        Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                        Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                        https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                        Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Hello & welcome to the vine from a lounge greenhouse in Braintree,hope everything’s going well over there,are you oop north or dan south?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X