Hi everyone - new veg gardener on the block

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi everyone - new veg gardener on the block

Hi all - got my mitts on a cracking new garden, only grown flowers/ shrubs/ trees and a few tomato plants before as didn't have room for veggies.

Earmarked an area about 50ft x 15ft for the kitchen garden to go - it's quite sunny and close to the house. It's South Easterly facing and protected by a hedge along the North Western side.

Planning on about 4/5 raised beds this year to get started and also some spuds in the ground.

Hoping to get an 8x6 greenhouse up in the next few weeks too so there'll be no stopping me with the seedlings

I want to grow loads of things, been out already and got about 30 packets of seeds! I know I should learn to walk before running but I've never been very sensible!

Anyway - have been getting lots off good tips already, any advice for a completely impatient gardener greatfully recieved!
    Thanks
    Grown the toms and herbs in greenhouse before but starting off a 50ft x 15ft veggie/fruit area in 2008

Hi there and welcome sounds like a cracking size plot you have there

what location are you? that will help people give advice
    aka
    Suzie

Comment

Hi and welcome to the vine. Good luck with your new garden.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Hello there, welcome to the site.

Where are you in the Country..? Did the earth move for you..?
        Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

We are in South Wales, about 7 miles from the sea.

Garden is 3/4 of an ace altogether, I can see the veggie area expanding over the coming years!
          Grown the toms and herbs in greenhouse before but starting off a 50ft x 15ft veggie/fruit area in 2008

Comment

My tip would be to choose all the lovely fruit you want to grow and plant trees first as they can take a few years to give a good crop (although plums, gages and mulberries will be fruiting away pretty quick).

Are you going to keep chooks?

Comment

Originally posted by jeannine View Post
              ............................... plums, gages and mulberries will be fruiting away pretty quick).
              Always fancied a mulberry after tasting some fruits many years ago! I've been put off buying a plant because I thought I would have to wait may years for it to fruit!

If they fruit fairly quickly and can be kept in trim I may be tempted to have a go!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Sorry forgot to say 'Welcome to the vine Emmahip'!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

welcome emmahip, good luck with your veg, have you seen the thread on seed buying?
                  we are all addicts, repeat after me, my name is emmahip and I'm a seedaholic.
                  Yo an' Bob
                  Walk lightly on the earth
                  take only what you need
                  give all you can
                  and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Hi and welcome looks like we are 2 newbies together ... look forward to swapping hint tips and disasters ... if you think you have seeds take a look at my blogg your not the only one running ... but as they say nothing ventured nothing grown lol take care xxxx
                    THE MORE MUSHY YOU ARE THE MORE THEY LOVE YOU

Comment

Hello- and welcome to the Vine!!
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Welcome aboard emma, good luck with your garden, be sure to keep us posted.
                        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by gigleypants View Post
                          Hi and welcome looks like we are 2 newbies together ... look forward to swapping hint tips and disasters ... if you think you have seeds take a look at my blogg your not the only one running ... but as they say nothing ventured nothing grown lol take care xxxx
                          Hi, could you add your blog address as a signature line - go to UserCP at the top left of the page. Then we can get to it at a click. Thanks,
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

hello and welcome. nothing like taking it steady in your fist year but if you can do it go for it

Comment

welcome from me too & happy growing
                              The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X