Hi folks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi folks

Just joined up. I got my allotment last year after badgering my local council for months. The attached (hopefully) picture is me and my Dad on our first day. We did manage to grow spuds, beans, peas and Jerusalem artichokes. We tried growing some toms but it was a disaster and slugs ate all our strawberries!

Things have been a bit slow this year since my Dad had to have a kidney removed and so hasn't been able to help out so much. I want to have a bash at growing squash this year so if anyone has any advice then please feel free.
    Attached Files

Wow! Looks like you've got your work cut out cultivating what appears to be an overgrown field.

As no doubt several people on here will advise...take it a bit at a time and it won't be as daunting.

I lost all my tomatoes to blight last year, hopefully better conditions will prevail this summer.

Welcome to the vine, enjoy!
    Lumpyjumper

http://lumpyjumpers.blogspot.com

updated blog - 15 Dec 2009

Comment

Hi and welcome to the vine. Look forward to seeing an 'after picture'
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Hello and welcome. Must have been a lot of hard work judging by the picure. Sympathise about the strawbs, slugs got mine too last year. Hope your dads improving and you will have a productive year.

Comment

hello and welcome
          ---) CARL (----
          ILFRACOMBE
          NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

Hello, nice to meet you!
            Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Hallo and welcome. Just keep taking pics as you progress. Cordon off small pieces of your lottie dig these one at a time and you'll feel you're getting somewhere. Don't aim to do it all in one go. Perhaps even do half this year and half next. Any tips that can help are a bonus. Good luck, it will be all worth it when you're bringing home all that fresh grown produce.
              Hope your dad will be ok soon.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Welcome aboard Professor - there are several learned people on here so you'll be in good company.

Similar situation to myself. I started with my plot last year having never grown anything before. Dad helped me out a bit getting started, then had a bad angina attack and hasn't really done much since. That said, I've well and truly got the bug, so plan on doing a great deal more - with our without the old boy's help.

Good luck with this year, looking forward to seeing some "after" pics too.
                A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Welcome to the grapevine - hope Dad's progressing well.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

hello prof, welcome to the mad house.
                    plant 4 squash for the slugs and one for you.
                    Yo an' Bob
                    Walk lightly on the earth
                    take only what you need
                    give all you can
                    and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Originally posted by yoanbob View Post
                      hello prof, welcome to the mad house.
                      plant 4 squash for the slugs and one for you.
                      How do the slugs know which ones to eat and which one to leave?
                      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

well the one they leave will be sickest leggiest smallest plant thats the hardest to get to. the ones they eat are the ones your nuturing and proud of.
                        they think they are getting one over on you but really the one they leave is allways the tastiest you have ever eaten
                        Yo an' Bob
                        Walk lightly on the earth
                        take only what you need
                        give all you can
                        and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

hi Professor Peabody & dad
                          Im also going to have a go at growing squash this year, you sure do look like you have lots of hard work ahead, Hope your dad will be better soon
                          Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

Hi folks and WOW what a friendly bunch. My brother (who is the family tech expert) has taken some new pics of my lottie as it stands now so should be able to post them over Easter.

In the meantime here is a another picture of that fateful first day and this one includes me Mum (a real family affair we grow 'em n she cooks 'em). Please admire her pink wellies as she was upset that the folks in the trading shed didn't!!

Many thanks for your kind words regarding me Dad, he is slowly on the mend and restricts himself to light weeding (suits me) and general pottering.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Crackin' wellies Grommit!
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X