Hello Everyone

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Everyone

Another newby to the site! I am based in Swindon, Wiltshire. After an experiment growing veg last year with my nine year old daughter, we have decided to give it another go this year.

Last year I managed to grow beetroot, spring onions, spring cabbage, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, runner beans, spuds in a pot, lettuce, radish.
    I had a few crops that failed they were pumpkins and squash.

After a sucessful crop last year, I have well and truly got the growing bug.

I'm hoping to learn from other peopl and pick up some tips along the way.
    http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Hello and welcome to the vine.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

That's not a bad haul for a first year experiment! My cabbages didn't appear at all, the slugs got my caulis and I got a whole 4, yes 4, strawberries because of the rain! lol

It's all good fun though. I would recommend (if you haven't already) starting a journal, noting down everything you do and when. It'll be invaluable next year!

Oh, and welcome btw!
      Live for something or die for nothing

Comment

Welcome to the vine herbie! You seem to have got the bug already!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

hey herbie - welcome to the vine...i'm in my 2nd year of growing veg now....this is a great forum, lots of great advice - never be afraid to ask a question!
          "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

Hi Herbie, this season will be my 3rd year at fighting the weather, slugs, mice, birds and anything else nature throws at us By the sound of it you did a bit better then me last year. Welcome to GYO.
            I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

hi

hi everyone ,happy easter

yes its been snowing in LIncolnshire but its melting now horay

got my lottie late last year,looking forward to this year

love the peace,fresh air and getting to nature

My greenhouse is doing well but this is in my garden ,it dont get smashed there

hope to hear from you all

tricky
              Take photographs today because tommorow you might not have

Together everyone achieves more

Comment

Hi Herbie and Tricky - welcome to the grapevine. Home from home!
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi Herbie and Tricky

Tricky whereabouts in Lincs are you?

Comment

Hi Herbie welcome to the vine
                    After a sucessful crop last year, you have well and truly got the growing bug. keep up the good work, happy gardening for this year and many more to come
                    Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

hi everyone, I,m sanmc and am a beginner, Ive planted my pototoes, and some seeds in pots in my little conservatory, hope I can get lots of advice from you all, I live in manchester and its snowing today.

Comment

Dear All

Thanks for the very warm welcome. I think the secret of last years crop was the green house and a few raised beds. We originally had a pond with lots of frogs and toads, we took this out to make way for the raised beds so I too will be struggling against the slugs this year.

We have also had our share of snow, it started at about 7am this morning and was finsihed by 8am so I've had a few hours in the garden today, tidying up and sowing more seeds. I also managed to get my chitted first earlies into an old dustin which I used last year. I tend to try and grow a bit of everything to see what works and what doesn't.

After last years failure with the pumpkins and squash, Ive just sowed four seeds in a heated propagator to see if this is more sucessfull. Here's to hoping!

Comment

Thanks for the tip everdream, I am going to make a start on the journal this evening.
                          Last edited by Herbie; 23-03-2008, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sanmc View Post
                            hi everyone, I,m sanmc and am a beginner, Ive planted my pototoes, and some seeds in pots in my little conservatory, hope I can get lots of advice from you all, I live in manchester and its snowing today.
                            Hi sanmc, welcome to the vine, you will get loads of good advice & tips from this site everyone is lovely & friendly
                            Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

Hi Herbie,

Been here a week myself.
                              The last time I remember growing veggies was when i used to help me dad about 45 years ago - my daughter talked me into giving a lottie a go - fell lucky - now all we need to do is plan and plant - and do a bit of the digging instead of leaving it all to the old man! (That's not quite true - I have done a couple of rows) - the daughter however.......

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X