Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to stop lurking

Hello, everyone.

My partner, daughter (7) and I took on an allotment in January, after being on a waiting list that we'd actually forgotten about. I've been popping in and out of this forum for information - it's very interesting and inspiring - thanks.

We are pretty green, as opposed to greenfingered, but little by little we are clearing the plot (it was a bit of a nightmare ). Part of it is starting to look like an allotment now, and the experienced types have been making encouraging comments, so I feel like we are doing OK. We are lucky enough to have a greenhouse, so I've started quite a lot of seedlings. I am amazed at how excited I get when stuff starts growing and how therapuetic I'm finding it. I'm sure I'll be pestering for lots of advice soon.

Jenny

hello jennybb and welcome. my son (9) loves gardening and has sown quite a bit already, can't stop him. good luck with the lottie!

Comment

Thank you!

My daughter is more at the playing on her swing that we've rigged up stage - but once we get a bit more cleared, she's going to have a corner for a wildlife garden. You're not far from us, grim today, isn't it? we got a bit done this morning, but the shallots and potatoes will have to wait a bit longer.

Comment

Lurk no more jennybb and welcome to the vine!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi again!

It's just as grim down here; thought we were in for a lovely day when the sun was shining this morning; but by the time I had had a cuppa and got dressed, it had clouded over and was spitting.

Still managed to get some seeds in though - trying root trainers for the first time.

Glad you have decided to stop lurking.

Comment

Originally posted by jennybb View Post
            Thank you!

My daughter is more at the playing on her swing that we've rigged up stage - but once we get a bit more cleared, she's going to have a corner for a wildlife garden. You're not far from us, grim today, isn't it? we got a bit done this morning, but the shallots and potatoes will have to wait a bit longer.
            it has been grim today! my son was the same, but the last 2 years (especially this 1) he is so excited by it all. he came up with an impressive plan for his part of the garden and has already got a small pond and plans to build another. take care

Comment

Thanks all, for your friendly welcomes.

Still it rains

But, I have done a load more seeds this evening. I live on a boat - so no garden, which is why we fancied an allotment. On the plus side - we have a huge, glazed wheelhouse, which is pretty much a greenhouse/ conservatory as it gets warmer - so i'm making the most of it. I think I may end up with a fair few surplus plants soon.

Root trainers? What's them? It's like learning a new language - but I'm so enjoying it.

Want some dry weather, though - have shallots to get in, and OH needs to do a few gays digging so we can get the well chitted spuds in.

Again, thanks for the welcomes.

Comment

Originally posted by jennybb View Post

Want some dry weather, though - have shallots to get in, and OH needs to do a few gays digging so we can get the well chitted spuds in.
                Not often you get a quote like this one!!!

I'll leave it for Hay Wayne to think up some punchline...I'll stick to the business in hand [so to speak].

Root trainers.

Original Rootrainer Propagation Trays

They are a method of getting deep roots that, instead of having to push a seedling and its roots out of a seed tray, these open up like a book and you can transport them, with a good deep rootball, to their final growing position. So, stuff like beans, peas, sweetcorn that have deep roots and don't like to be disturbed, grow better root systems and there is less stress when planted out.

Comment

Hi jennybb, I've got this vision of a greenhouse on the stern of a narrowboat Tell me I'm wrong! As for GAYS digging, WELL!! Welcome to the forum.
                  I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Whoops - meant days, honest!

It's a barge as opposed to a narrowboat - some traditionalists have referred to our wheelhouse as a greenhouse.

Comment

Hi jennybb and welcome to the vine
                      Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

Welcome! My daughter's called Jenny. You're practically family.
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X