Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuss1

Hi from sunny Sussex.

I have had an allotment for 1 year (taken 1 year to clear it!). I need all the help I can get. In particular, I have heavy clay soil. I want to grow carrots so have made a raised bed but am a a loss to what soil to fill it with, any ideas?

Sand.

If you can also dig out the clay under the raised carrot bed and fill that with sand you'll get longer carrots.

There is a handy way to grow carrots in the growing tips section of the forum; worth checking that out as well.

And welcome to the Vine down there in the sunny south.

Comment

Hi Tuss1, welcome to the 'Vine
      I have lovely clay too, so I've got a huge packing crate to grow carrots in. I've filled it with 5 bags of topsoil, 4 bags of multi-purpose compost & a bag of sand on the recommendation of our allotment secretary who grows prize-winning carrots for shows! Fingers crossed, I should have some decent ones this year!

Comment

Welcome to the forums and I for one will be trying Sarz'''''''''''''''' tip for growing carrots. Grew them in a recycling box last year and they were the only things apart from onions and leeks that survived the floods on my plot!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X