new member from essex

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member from essex

Hi everyone, I have taken over an allotment this year and am very excited about this, ive already planted my pototoes, onions, and cabbages in rows next to each other is this ok, ive never grown anything before so all help and advice very welcome. I havent got raised beds growing straight into soil, im also wanting to grow lettuces, spring onions, brussell sprouts, parsnips, swede, but feel totally confused wot goes with wot, I know this sounds silly but its the truth Please Help Kaz

hi kaz it takes a bit of time to remember where ever thing goes but if you get your hands on the veg and herb expert by Dr Hessayon tells you all you need to no best of luck

Comment

Hallo Kaz, until you begin to find your way - which won't take long, believe me - just chuck everything you like in, wherever you have space. You'll soon pick up on rotations etc. - it's not rocket science.

Comment

allotment onions

Hi everybody, just picked my onions and was wondering how to store them, someone said plaiting but have no idea how to do this all advice very welcome.

Comment

Kaz - I make sure that they dry fully in the sun. (I usually lay them on a wooden bench under the porch.) Then I put them loose in a plastic basket and store them in the garage. I find that they keep fine this way. I don't see the point of plaiting - they look nice but it's a lot of effort.
          Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

You need longish tops on onions to plait them, and some decent string to get you started and make a hanging loop.
            Cut the string to give one long length and one short. so when you fold the long bit in half you've got the 3 'ends' all about the same. I used about 30 inches of 'working length', but basically you do it to where you can hang them for storage and how long a piece you are comfortable to work with. Only the very patient will be able to stick with strings over about 4 ft.
            Knot the string to give a loop about an inch long at the topyou lay the onions so that the bulb is at the top, and the stem works with one of the strings. Add in an extra onion about every 4th cross over.
            If the stems are too long and thick it will soon get ridiculously crowded, so you need thin 'stems about 5-6 inches (less and it may not hold in the plait, more and it just gets in the way). When you are running out of string, tie it off and start another one.
            Good luck. I worked out the above technique by trial and error (lots of error first time).
            Last edited by Hilary B; 20-06-2008, 07:00 AM.
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Hi kaz I am also anew allotment holder I have the book Barry Tough recommends and it's great gives all information in plain english, good luck and happy growing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X