Old methods and walled gardens; new member

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old methods and walled gardens; new member

I'm in Somerset and have had allotments on and off all my adult life. At the moment we are helping to restart a kitchen garden in a 2 acre walled garden using largely organic methods and old techniques.

We have a new ground vinery (Curate's vinery) made from Everest secondary glasing units (superb things) and an ever increasing line of Chase Barn Cloches. We are thinking of starting a small site to cover these old cloches and how to erect them and use them but we certainly don't know everything about them.

Most of the veg grown are Heritage varieties, except the tomatoes which are mainly Ferline to try and avoid the effects of blight. For much the same reason we only really grow early potatoes.

The walls are being re-populated with fruit trees, both fan and cordons, and we hope to include a big range of cider apples and perry pears as examples. but are too late ot plant them for this year now.

so we will be busy.

Welcome to the vine larbal. Oh how I have dreamed of a walled garden - I bet lots of us here have! It will be nice to hear how you are getting in - put things in the 'What I did Today' thread so we can all keep up. (Or start a blog!)
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Welcome to the Vine!!

What a fantastic project!

No - it's certainly not too late to plant fruit trees- they'll just need to be pot plants rather than bare rooted.

Autumn would in fact be better as you'll need to keep them well watered for the next few months.
      If you do want to plant out soon, it's probably better to buy ones not flowering so as to reduce the stress on the plants.
      I'm not an expert on fruit, but I think you shouldn't let it fruit the first year anyway to encourage the energy into the roots instead of fruit????

I'm sure the stockists will advise you!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Bare rooted are probably going to be cheaper too.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X