Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AXJ Another Xtreme Jardinero

Hi everyone,

this is a fab forum, so happy I chanced upon it. I am a container gardener in the Basque Country. Currently focussed on Tomatoes and Basque Pimentos, with a few radishes to keep the children interested.

My current quest is how to get a good crop of AXJ tomatoes from small pots. I have very limited space. Every where I read that 10 gallon tubs are required, yet at the same time, people are growing hydroponically, which means almost no pot at all. There must be a way to combine the two concepts.

Hence my monica AXJ Another Xtreme Jardinero, small is beautiful, unless there is no fruit.

I wil make a post in the right place on this topic.

That is the introduction from me AXJ... happy gardening one and all.
    Last edited by axj; 26-04-2008, 01:57 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    AXJ Another Xtreme Jardinero

yes a fantastic forum axj...why are 10 gallon tubs required I wonder...when you can grow things in growbags...and they are no way near that size! i'm growing tumbler tomatoes this year in hanging baskets and some pots as I've limited space!

happy growing!

d
    "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

Exactly my thinking, I have done really well with grow bags in the past, but I can't get them here in Spain. So I have been searching around to see what I need if I use pots (or containers as they seem to be called in the USA). Everywhere I have looked says half barrels etc are essential. On that basis I could have one tomato plant!!

Thanks for the welcome. =8¬)

Comment

Hi there, Bilbau is a beautiful place, if I remember rightly you've got quite a good pottery place there. Just put your toms ito nice big pots once they are large enough to grow on give them some support plenty of food and water and off you go.!

Comment

Hey Mrs Dog, thanks for the welcome =8¬) Love your avatar, yes we have lots of pottery here. Although the base industry historically iron and metal works, thankfully no longer as the pollution was the worst in the region. These days manufacturing and new technology is making the grade. Bilbao has the virtue of never having been the victim of heavy warfare, unlike London, so the historic buildings remain intact.

Thanks for your tips on tomatoes, the Basques are rather partial to their tomatoes, having been instrumental in their introduction to Europe. I have quite sincerely paid more for one tomato than for a bottle of the accompanying red plonk. Whaaa... what makes this axj very happy is fresh baked bread, extra virgin olive oil, a little sea salt, fresh ground black pepper some chopped garlic, oh and of course a Basque Tomato food fit for a king or queen. I could live on it, but not often with a tomato from a UK supermarket I am sad to say.

I am growing the seedlings in 1.2 litre pots at the moment, having transplanted from seed tray. I can go up to 3 litre plastic pots next, or 5 litre terracotta pots, although I will run out of space pretty sharpish... how big (or may be I should say small) is big enough in your opinion?
          Last edited by axj; 28-04-2008, 06:13 PM. Reason: axj forgot the tomato Doh!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X