Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonyfromplymouth

Hi Everyone!
    I have a small garden in Plymouth and my kitchen garden measures only 7m x 6m. This is divided into four rotational plots which enables me to grow about 70% of the vegetables I need for my vegetarian diet. Because we have a big problem with pigeons and cabbage white butterfly I grow my brassicas in a 2m high cage which is moved around to the next plot each year. The soil is very stoney and the only way that I am able to grow carrots is by filling a "trench" with sifted soil. I aim to grow organically but I do have to resort to using slug pellets - I have tried copper rings, grit and other organic methods of controlling these pests but none of them work for me.
    Last edited by Tonyfromplymouth; 11-05-2008, 09:24 AM.

Hi Tony, I am from sunny Plymouth too and saw your posting, joined the site today as I saw it had a lot of information for the very new (idiot) gardener (me). I tried using egg shells as an alternative to slug pellets, it didn't last long as my efforts of humain deterant ended up i my Collie's mouth, an investigation insued after hearing her crunching in the garden! Oh well back to slug pellets although my Mum told me about using an orange cut in half and placing it flesh side down, slugs apparentlyfind it irrisistable. I then fell about laughing as I had visions of my Collie (Mollie) doing the kitchen scene from Morcombe and Wise LOL! Oh well, back to work in the kitchen - enjoy our lovely Devon weather.
    Pauline

Comment

I was born in Plymouth - still got rellies down that way.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X