Bonjour

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonjour

Hi, This is the first time I've written anything on a forum - help!!
    Briefly, we have been living in France for three years deep in the countryside in rural France and are loving it. Especially having the space for a vegetable plot and keeping a few chickens. This year I am trying to grow runner beans here for the first time as we prefer them to French Haricot beans. Also a first this year are Cape Gooseberrys to join the raspberries, blackcurrants and redcurrants which are into their second year. Last year our tomatoes were a complete disaster with some sort of virus which was widespread over this area. Too much rain I think!

This year I'm growing potatoes in dustbins, tomatoes, onions, shallots, butternut squash, courgettes, cucumber, gem squash (Zimbabwian), carrots, beetroot, peppers, chillies, sweetcorn, lettuce, radish, and strawberries.

I love getting Grow Your Own Magazine which my son sends out to me every month.

Welcome to the Forum

By the way, I'm green with envy!!

Comment

Hi Henrietta

welcome to another newbie

AitchEm

Gardening requires a lot of water, most of it in the form of perspiration

Comment

welcome henrietta ...whereabouts in france are you?
        i grew runner beans (prizewinner)last year and they werent too bad - but the haricots did better.am growing runners again this year with saved seed......didnt do well with cauliflowers and broccoli but am trying again....
        http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Hi Henrietta, and welcome to the Vine. Yes, whereabouts are you in France - we are in the Auvergne on the border of Allier and Puy de Dome with Montlucon as our nearest "big" town.

The problem you had last year was probably blight, if you do a search on here you will find out all you need to know about it. We all suffered from it here and I am being specially careful to avoid it this year, it does give your confidence a bit of a knock

Still, onwards and upwards this year eh?
          Last edited by scarey55; 20-05-2008, 07:19 PM.
          A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Cape Goosberry

Hi there, welcome to the forum, I'm new too....
            I'd love to hear more about your Cape goosberry, we are growing some too and they are doing very well, but I don't know anyone else growing them....so I'd be interested to know where you keep them, have they been a success and all that?

A bientot, Maria
            Mad about fruit www.potsoffruit.com

Comment

Welcome to the Vine Henrietta. Quite a few Grapes live in France. If you go into your personal profile you can show us where you are in France.
              Hope you have a great growing season.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

hi henrietta,i would like to know how you grow cape goosberry too.i bought a little plant today and not sure what to do with it apart from protect it from frost
                goddess

Comment

Welcome Henrietta,
                  I am in France too, in Aveyron. Put your pin on the grapes map - I did, but I can't remember how!!
                  Tx
                  Tx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X