And yet another newcomer!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And yet another newcomer!

Hi there. My first posting is just to introduce myself, as requested. I am a semi-retired guy living in South Cumbria. I've had a council allotment since January and have been busy converting it from an overgrown rubbish dump to an organised and productive plot. The soil is quite heavy with loads of stones and even more perennial weeds [especially horsetail] but I have dug over almost half of it so far, and planted potatoes, onions, broad beans and some soft fruit. I am delighted to have founds sources for manure, edging planks and also pallets, with which I have built a compost bin and manure pit.

I'm enjoying it all and the exercise is good for me, but my back screams at me to stop after a couple of hours in the morning. Anyone any ideas on how to last longer without injuring myself?
    Cheers, Ron

hi Ron welcome to the forum.

I have a small veg plot in my back garden in which I have planted broad beans, carrots, beetroot and a couple of courgette plants. I have also put a gooseberry bush and raspberry cane in the border. I have to do the digging as hubby has a bad back, but it keeps me fit and it is only a very small area.

I live across on the North East coast, and it is still a bit nippy at the moment, so I am hoping it warms up a bit !

You will find lots of good advice here (and the odd joke or two !!)

Littlewin

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X