Mornin all

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mornin all

I seem to find the most useful answers on this forum whenever I'm searching for anything allotment-related, so thought I'd join - was just looking for seed compost recipes and came across this: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...tml#post151760
    - I'd better get my compost heap going, not to mention the leaf-mould, will be ready in a couple of years! (till then I suppose one of the coir seed recipes will be better than the coir-based potting compost I have been using).

I have been cultivating an allotment for about 4 years with my wife and daughter (who is now 4) and occasionally even get some veg out of it! Life too often gets in the way, but I have been doing more this year - but the bindweed and couch are still winning

We have quite a bit of soft fruit - black and redcurrants, gooseberries, summer and autumn rasberries, as well as a well established strawberry patch (which we move each year using the new runners). Veg-wise not so great this year, but we have onions, peas and broad beans all doing well. We have been very slack with composting though, so that is my priority this year as well as tidying up the beds (raising them, with permanent mulched paths to make the battle with the weeds more contained).

Also trying to make the allotment comfortable and pretty to sit in and barbecue - we don't have a garden as we live in a flat, so it is our only private outdoor space. There is an area of grass where we have a picnic table and bench, a sand and water table for visiting kids - the soil is clay and is often too hard for the younger kids to dig in for long. Another reason why we need to make more compost!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to joining in here when I get the chance, and continuing to benefit from the great tips and advice!

Cheers,

Hubert

Hi Hubert and welcome to The Vine!

Sounds to me like you've pretty much got it all sorted, your allotment sounds like a great place to be. I think it's so nice to just be outside and sit and enjoy your surroundings......trouble is I end up doing way to much sitting and thinking instead of doing!!!
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

Hi and welcome - lovely to have your own bit of space isn't it?
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi and welcome to the vine howlongis. Love the sound of your lottie - it seems to be a space your whole family enjoy being in. Good luck with your crops this year.
        Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 04-06-2008, 04:13 PM.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X