Hi from the Languedoc!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from the Languedoc!

Hello all from a very (unusually) wet Languedoc, France. My 5th year here, but only the 2nd with a proper garden, and trying to grow everything imaginable!
    Normally hot & dry in summer (hoorah!) but tricky adapting knowledge from growing in the uk. I tend to still plant things out a bit on the late side, just in case...... and then find everybody else's plants are miles - or should I say kilometres - ahead of mine! Old habits die hard I suppose.
    Anyway, pleased to meet you all and hope we can exchange notes soon.

Hi lapousse, we've a few French Grapes posting on here. I doesn't really make me feel better knowing that your weather is as wet and miserable as ours! Which bit of the Languedoc are you in?
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Hi there and welcome to the Vine!!

I'm one of the ones who can't make up my mind where to live!!

Well it's not raining here in Cheshire....so I'm in the right place at the moment!!!

What are you growing????
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi there, thanks for those quick and welcoming responses. I live in a little village just north of Beziers. Its a really pretty area, and its vines vines vines, as far as the eye can see. (which today is not very far due to aforementioned rain....)
        I have just finished planting out the last of the veg. ie sweetcorn, which is a bit late due to most of the first sowing being eaten by sneaky, very small slugs whilst in the cold frame, where I had foolishly thought they would be safe. I am also inundated with snails but they kind of disappear when the weather hots up a bit. Otherwise I am growing the usual suspects - tomatoes, aubergines, pumpkins, spuds, spinach, beetroot - and for the first time, parsnips. As you may know,they are hard to find in the shops here ( the French really don't know what they are missing ) and when I did find them last year, they were individually labelled at €1.50 each!!!!!! Sadly I had problems with germination, and only have about 6 plants, but thats enough for a Xmas dinner, if they get that far...
        Hope your potagers are doing well!

Comment

Hi Lapousse
          Lucky you, living in the Languedoc... I know it well. We were due to move out there last year, but after two house purchases fell through, we put the whole thing on hold. We love the Minervois in particular and have friends there too.

Anni

Comment

welcome lapousse....(small sprouting shoot?) been very wet here in the Lot too....my parsnips are not doing well i only have 6 from a whole packet of seeds.
            i'm still finding my way around what will grow and what wont...trying purple sprouting broccoli for the first time for instance and not growing quite so much florence fennel.
            otherwise usual suspects...courgettes, tomatoes ......
            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X