Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Newbie here :)

HHiya

New to forum, but so glad i found it as i hope very soon to start growing veggies n herbs n salad in pots and never tried veg n salad b4 so newbie there too

I am very excited about getting started and wondered if the more experienced of you out there can throw some good advice my way

I am also getting a greenhouse given but need to sort out garden for it first so will be asking for advice there as well soon

Look forward to getting to know you and sharing ideas and veggies

Misty

Hi and welcome. You'll get loads of ideas here. Try putting container gardening into the search box. Good luck with your greenhouse too. I wouldn't be without mine.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi mistyblu. i'm growing my salad stuff in pots and veg in small plot in garden. My pride and joy this year is my greenhouse, however in my excitement to fill it I planted all sorts of veg and flower seeds in early Feb (mistake, will be later next year) and ended up with an overcrowded greenhouse and plants everywhere. So I would suggest restraint to a point, grow what you enjoy eating and think about where you're going to plant it. Good Luck.

Comment

Hi Gemlady

Thanks for your advice

Funnily i have drawn up a design plan how i want everything in the garden (nothing elaborate but i understand it) LOL, then what i did is a list of veg and salad, then trimmed it down to what we eat most, then cut it again to what is appropriate for a new starter and got a much shorter (and i hope) managable list which i am going to try my very best to keep too, i am so bad for being over excitable and going OTT LOL.

Thanks for the advice Misty

PS has the Gem part of ur name got anything to do with crystals? or is it Gem as in lettuce?

Comment

Hi Flummery

Thanks for that i havent had much luck with trying to find anything online about growing in pots maybe i am not wording it very well. i got the BBC site ad a few others but very basic info

Misty

Comment

Welcome to the Vine Mistyblu. You could start with some lettuce and mixed salad leaves in a container. They'll be growing while you plan the rest of the garden. Good luck.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hi ALice

Thanks, i was hoping someone might advise what i can start with im itching to get going lol.

I need to go read what i can get away with now in pots, as well as the lettuce. The greenhouse and area in garden prolly wont be ready till later in year as there is a lot of work to do, i got to wait & fit round everyone who is going to help with this project lol, which i am very grateful for even if i am itching to start.

Thanks for you advie

Misty

Comment

Hi Misty Well you sound very organised and I'm sure you'll do well. If you put the following in a search engine 'Container growing/Vegetables in containers/Growing vegetables in pots' you should be able to find some useful advice.

At the moment I'm growing potatoes in big tubs and old compost bags, lettuce/rocket/spicy leaves, radishes, cress, spring onions, tomatoes, strawberries, and herbs in pots. Also have got parsnips and purple sprouting broccoli started off in tubs to put in place of potatoes when dug up, and carrots and beetroot started off in tubs to plant out later. I'm sure there's no end to the things you can grow in pots and tubs, its just having the room for it all

The gem part of my name came from a short time that I sold silver jewellery, some of it with gemstones.

Comment

I have read up some and have found what i can grow now in pots, just not sure about compost types OL

I read to use John Innes #2 to start off seeds.

I need to go and buy some compost and such and seeds, im not much of a throe and see i think im more methodical and like to know whats what 1st LOL, must be the age as years ago id have just gone for it and see what comes LOL.

I just hope i have enought room as the bug takes hold hehehe

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X