hi everyone, glad ive found you....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi everyone, glad ive found you....

hello guys and girls, finally found a site i like, right first off i wil tell you a little bit about myself, im only 29 but have green fingers, i have a few kids, i live in birmingham, i plan on getting a allotment space but the one thats closest to me is full and have to go on the waiting list....(now its not like ill be waiting a few weeks is it, these allotment spaces can be rented for years)
    so a bit down about that, im dying to get my own patch so i can start growing lovely vegetables for me and my family to enjoy, also growing them wil be fun but hard work.
    i plan on getting my children involved especially my 8 year old daughter who is also green fingered.
    so thats me, hello to you all.

Hello and welcome to the vine. Do you have garden or yard space where you can start growing veggies in containers? It is a good way to get started.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Hello, mine name's Wayne and I'm a Grape-a-holic.

Welcome aboard dude.
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

hi wayne and shirl, glad to meet you.
        yes shirl i have a garden, but not a very nice area with my neighbour being a junkie etc, i wouldnt even like to grow a carrot in my garden as it would be half inched before it grew!!

Comment

Originally posted by handyman View Post
          i wouldnt even like to grow a carrot in my garden as it would be half inched before it grew!!
          That's a shame, mind you, they might not know it was an edible. Try tomatoes - perhaps they will try to smoke them
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

it is a shame, but this is what the world has come to now......
            i want to grow cabbage, potatoes, broccoli, lettuce, cucumber and a bit of cauliflower......
            what can you tell me about these, can i grow what i have mentioned, all of them??
            do i need to start a new thread to ask the question ive just asked here to get mor responses maybe or just to put it in the right section?

Comment

Originally posted by handyman View Post
              it is a shame, but this is what the world has come to now......
              i want to grow cabbage, potatoes, broccoli, lettuce, cucumber and a bit of cauliflower......
              what can you tell me about these, can i grow what i have mentioned, all of them??
              do i need to start a new thread to ask the question ive just asked here to get mor responses maybe or just to put it in the right section?

If you use the search facility you will be able to find lots of threads on container gardening. Spuds grow jolly well in buckets - one seed spud per 10litre bucket or maybe 2 in a builders 5 gallon bucket - just remember they will need to have holes drilled for drainage first. lettuce and cucumbers will also do okay in containers or growbags. I think some people grow cauli and cabbage in containers but the plants might need to be staked to keep them secure in the winter - they like good firm soil and that is the only real problem with growing those in containers.

Beans and peas can also be done in containers, either a few dwarf variety in each container or a small number of plants in each pot and a cane - arrange the pots in a circle and tie the canes at the top.
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

looks like i have a lot of research to do, thx for your input shirl!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X