Hello - another new Scottish one

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello - another new Scottish one

Hi everyone, what a brilliant site you have here!

We have just moved house and are starting a vegetable patch, but I am feeling quite overwhelmed but all the info out there!! I do have some spinach growing, which I am very proud of though.

Can anyone tell me if we are too late to grow potatoes, please?

Maggie and Paul

Where in Scotland are you? I am in the south west, and we put our potatoes in about 3 weeks ago as I was held up with a sore foot, they seem to be making good progress, so if you have some I would throw them in, what's the worst that could happen?
    I think I am right in saying that 'earlies' germinate quicker, so you might be better with them, but I am a novice, so there will be others on here who know the right answer, try the 'vegging out' section on here
    (Welcome to the site by the way)
    http://365daysinthegarden2011.blogspot.com/

url]http://clairescraftandgarden.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

Welcome to the Vine Magsthepie. You can show us where you are in Scotland by going into Personal Profile.
      As for potatoes, the top growth is not frost hardy, so you have to get them ready before the first frost in your area - unless you want to provide frost protection in the form of fleece etc.
      Early potatoes like Charlotte only need about 13 weeks so you should be OK.
      Potatoes from Scottish growers are disease free (that's where all the seed potatoes come from) so you should be safe enough to plant Charlotte from the supermarket if you just check the bag for grown in Tayside (or whatever).
      Good luck with your venture.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

............. and another Scottish welcome. Good luck!
        ~
        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Hi Claire72, Alice and JennieAtkinson, thanks for your replies. I'll take a trip to the supermarket tomorrow, as you say what can be the worst that can happen!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X