Hello to all newbies and regulars alike

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello to all newbies and regulars alike

Wow looks like a good handful of first timers have logged on like me today for the first time too. My name is Lisa, I live in the North East and have been off work today because I'm suffering with chicken pox and I'm 36, shouldn't be allowed at my age! So I've taken the time to plan my new gardening venture. Hoping to put in 5 raised beds on my lawn to increase my veg plot considerable. Will have to do it bit by bit over the next few months with the hope of getting some green manures on over the winter and start planting next spring. Any hints or help greatly received
    cheers
    soapymutt

Hi soapymutt,
    I was thinking of green manures but one of the other allotment holders put me off due to the high number of weeds i have now and a long story! and I couldnt decide wich one to use! LOL so its horse muck for me!

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Soapymutt and Cornish Pixie!

I've tried green manures and my own personal opinion is I'd rather have a crop growing on the land!

The leguminous ones like field beans are supposed to add nitro but the amount is very small. The brassica ones like mustard are supposed to add bulk but when you dig them in it hardly seems worth it for the amount of organic matter you get. They could also act as a host for clubroot
      The hungarian grasing rye grass adds a tiny bit bulk but what nutrients does it rob from the ground when it's growing?

Nope, for me, a crop in the ground at all times and a good heavy mulch of whatever you can get a hold of is the way to go for 52 weeks of the year!

Each to there own tho I suppose!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi and welcome to you both! Cant help with much advice since this is my first 'real' year as well but good luck to you!
        Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

hi soapymutt, hope you're not feeling too itchy..maybe you have to buy an aloe vera plant from ikea...you can rub it on your spots! havent tried green manures before but may give them a try in october. this year i would like to try to have as much autumn winter planting there for things to eat through the year. with our first attempt last year we only had stuff for summer and ran out quickly so am learning to plant regularly with hopefully some nice things like kale and cabbage for wintertime.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X