Hello

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

My first post, the site says introduce yourself so here I go.

I'm quite experienced with growing plants, having had a smallish garden and am used to pots, pots and more pots, but am new to vegetables.

I've recently moved to a house out in the country where I've so far managed to sledgehammer up a 5M x 3M of hard standing which I've converted into a salad/herb plot from which I'm enjoying salads, radishes and spring onions. Also got plenty of strawbs in planters, herbs, etc going and planted a border with a load of raspberries and blueberries. I also got an allotment (surprisingly easily from the horror stories I've read) soon after moving in which is about 15M x 15M and have got spuds, onions, broccoli, corn, peas and beans going nicely. It was previously just weeds from what I can see, and some horrible back-aching days are now reaping the rewards, although I didn't manure at all. (Just starting to mulch regularly).

I today put my first manure down on the plot. Put a large piece of cardboard down and laid the manure over the top. I heard it rots down nicely, so next year I can plant that spot up nice and early and have got a load more bags of manure composting away ready for digging in at the tail end of the year.

Look forward to hearing any tips/tricks/stories etc.

Sound as if you've got it all in hand already TUS. Sit back and enjoy the forum.
    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

hello theusualsuspect
      welcome to the vine
      I have also recently moved to the country, where abouts are you?

Comment

Cheers for the messages. It may sound like I have it all in hand, but I'm trying to go totally Organic and already have problems with things that eat what they're not supposed to All good though as it's part of the battle getting the predator/bug micro-climate going.

I'm living in Cambridgeshire, not far from Ely coomber.

Comment

Hi - the birds are your friends in that they eat the insects and slugs. However, in payment they try to take your brassicas and fruit! I always reckon it's all about balance. I grow organically and there are various tips around on the site - try using the 'search' facility.
          Welcome to the Grapevine.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X