hello

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello

hi there i just got myself an allotment about four weeks ago,and am busily and keenly digging out couch grass, got a couple of nice old victoria plum trees on the plot, that need some serious attention. was hoping that someone out there knows when and how hard to prune it..happy digging melonman

Hi melonman I'm in a very similar situation. I inherited 5 plum trees when I took on my plot and they all needed some TLC. Bearing in mind I'm not an expert, I decided on a 'kill or cure' approach and pruned mine really hard a few days ago (in fact not so much 'pruned' as 'took a saw to 'em' ). They haven't keeled over and died yet! Some pics on my blog (link below) if they're any help.
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

Comment

plums

sawed em? you are brave, will hard prune them after they have fruited this year only because i would like to harvest what they will produce... thanks for info, will content myself with dead wood pruning for now an hit it harder later in the year...

Comment

thanks seahorse all info tis worthy.. will check out your blog many thanks

Comment

I remember reading (ages ago) that when you prune a plum tree you need to use something to seal the cuts, to prevent some uncommonly nasty disease getting in. Can't remember what disease, but I think a garden centre would sell the sealing stuff (sorry can't recall the name of that either, unless it is the stuff with a brand name like "Arbrex").
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

plumtrees

thanks for info about sealing stuff will ask at my local garden center.. many thanks...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X