Just to say hello

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just to say hello

My first posting on Grapevine - I am an "allotmenteer" of a certain age having had my plot now for two years. It is my bolt hole but the only trouble is not having enough time to do everything I want to do. I grow the usual brassicas, chards, fennel, pak choi, three types of beans and much more and for the first time I have three plants of OCA which are said to be lemon flavoured tubers from S. America and one of the lost crops of the Incas. I planted them at the same time as my potatoes but they are not due to be lifted until just before the really heavy frosts arrive so have a long wait before harvesting. Should be interesting. In addition to traditional composting I also have a couple of bokashi bins and the resulting compost has been dug into my bean bed this year. See if I can see any difference in the crop. My problem this year is the proliferation of black fly - I have never seen so many and the usual washing up liquid spray has had no effect whatsoever. Anyone got any sure fire organic treatment?

Think that's more than enough for now. Glad to join you all

Can't offer much in the way of advice, but as a fellow newbie I thought I'd welcome you aboard!

Rob

Comment

Might be the wrong time of year now, but lacewings and ladybirds both like eating aphids (green, black or any other type) and there are places which sell 'starter' kits. Try Googling 'natural apid control' (because I can't remember what the company is called) or look out for their ordering cards in the garden centre.
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X