Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get me started.

Hi folks,

I'm Vegetator. I happened across the site by accident and was very impressed. I'm interested in growing vegetables and soft fruits, though I'm yet to get my hands dirty.

My garden is 33 metres and the end portion which I plan to use as kitchen garden is approximately 5x5 metres. I was investigating the condition of the soil and discovered that there is quite a bit of coal and coal ash in the garden. I have gathered that this is rather unhealthy stuff in which to grow vegetables, so I need to remove soil and replace this with topsoil that is not 'tainted'. So, if there are any ideas about how best to tackle this I'm listening.Moving house is not one of them, at lesat not at present.

Vegetator.
    Last edited by Vegetator; 12-07-2008, 10:27 PM.

If you dig out the existing soil, then you would have to buy fresh soil to replace it, so why not just leave it all in place, save all the digging and make raised beds.

Provided you laid down a thick plastic membrane first, I would have thought this would be OK
    I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

I agree with stacey about building raised beds as this will be less work and give you a veg patch quicker.
      Work out how many beds you can accomodate on your patch and leave 2' between for paths .
      Leave one bed empty for your compostable kitchen scraps ,old newspaper, animal bedding and general garden waste as this will make a good bean bed for next year and all you will just need is a top coat of soil or compost to sow the seed into.
      ---) CARL (----
      ILFRACOMBE
      NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

Yup me too, raised beds is the ONLY way I would consider growing my veg.
        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Hiya, and welcome to the vine!

We have raised beds, much easier!

stacey x
          Stacey x ♫

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...