Hello folks :)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello folks :)

Hi there everyone, I'm very new to all this. Great site you've all got going here!

We've (me and Ann) just moved house and as a result I've got my first garden after years of living in tenement flats. I've also put my name down on an allotment waiting list... which is 5 years long

I'm hoping to be able to micro-crop (if that's the phrase) in planters etc while I wait for a slot... and have been reading/searching on here for a wee while for info.

You can all look forward to me boring you with photos of plants/vegetables as I progress... and I'm looking forward to learning from you all as this is really all new to me and I'm going to need help!

Our first flower grown from seed has just opened in the past day or two and I'm chuffed! It's from one of those novelty gift packs of Sunflower seeds which I got Ann for her birthday - and now residing in my new growhouse

Here it is...

My main mission for the next year is to grow Broad Beans (The Suttons I think) and some Tumbling Toms. As well as a few herbs.

Take care and see you around

Dave and Ann
    My Blog My flickr

D&A a warm welcome to you both. Nice piccy, look forward to the further installments, of both success and (not often I hope) the distasters.
    I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

Hi Dave and Ann. Welcome to the vine. I'm sure you won't bore us all, we're a nosey bunch and like to know what everybody else is doing That's a lovely flower, well worthy of a photograph.
      Although I've got a small allotment, I still grow my herbs in a tub (an old dog bed sunk into the ground) so there's loads of possibilities for growing all kinds of veg in the strangest objects
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Originally posted by onefivenine View Post
        My main mission for the next year is to grow Broad Beans (The Suttons I think)
        Why Sutton? They are dwarf, but the flavour isn't half as good as Crimson Flowered, which are also dwarf (and less prone to blackfly into the bargain)
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hiya welcome to the vine.
          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            Why Sutton? They are dwarf, but the flavour isn't half as good as Crimson Flowered, which are also dwarf (and less prone to blackfly into the bargain)
            Sutton's just seem to be the main dwarf variety I've read about so far, but I'm interested in the Crimson Flowered definititely! Thanks for the tip!
            My Blog My flickr

Comment

A big hello to you both. Veg in pots is great way to get to grips with the growing of each variety up close. Stuff like carrots can do better in deep planters cos the carrot root fly flys close to the ground and hasn't the intelligence to check out what's growing in the pots above it's little head. ( luckily )
              Izi.

Comment

welcome to the vine, as you can see already, plenty of advice, before you even ask wait until you do ask, then hold on to your hat
                Vive Le Revolution!!!
                'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Hi and welcome to the vine

Comment

Hi Dave and Ann! Welcome to the vine, from not too far north of you!

If you're interested in growing potatoes next year (you can get some planters/ grow bags for them), there's a potato fayre in Dunblane next February. Sounds like they'll be lots of unusual varieties of seed potato available! UK Potato Days

Anyway, happy growing, looking forward to seeing your photos!
                    http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dave and Ann - Hi from another 'Germinator' about 12/ 15 miles to the West of you. And congrats on getting your own patch of land (oh yeah, and the house too... :-) ) - will be great for getting your hand in while on the waiting list for the allotment. The flower pic is amazing - look forward to seeing more!

Comment

Welcome to the vine 159!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X