Hello from Worcestershire

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Worcestershire

I've recently taken over a massive allotment which I'm hoping to plant biodynamically. I don't need all the space as I'm not planning to feed the whole county so I was thinking of sowing a wildflower meadow over two thirds and and then developing the rest along the lines of an ornamental kitchen garden. Are there any other forum members with experience of any (or all) of these things?

welcome to the madhouse

not had experience of an allotment yet, but.......... i did have this mad idea one year when i got tired of endlessly mowing the lawn, and sowed wildflower meadow seeds, they came up lovely.
    Vive Le Revolution!!!
    'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
    Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Hi welcome to the vine. Im new to gardening but I know some people here plant along moonplanting lines. try a search and see what comes up
      WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Hello fellow Worcestershire person - nice to see you here.
        http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

welcome to the vine earthmama
          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

If I can't eat it I won't plant it so I'm sorry I can't help with flowers wild or otherwise but welcome to the grapevine also more recently affectionately called the madhouse
            Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

hello welcome to the site, its fun here xxx
              http://www.paintingsussex.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Earthmama View Post
                I've recently taken over a massive allotment which I'm hoping to plant biodynamically. I don't need all the space as I'm not planning to feed the whole county
                I might be unpopular here ... but with such a shortage of allotments, perhaps you might think about sharing with somebody who wants to grow food for their family, not wildflowers?

(I recently gave up half my plot as I couldn't manage it all; I was going to just grow flowers, but thought that was a bit selfish with the waiting lists as long as they are)
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'm with Two Sheds here. If you don't need it perhaps let someone else use it?
                  On the other hand, once you get going you will probably end up using it all anyway.
                  How big is it??

P.s. welcome
                  Tx

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    I might be unpopular here ... but with such a shortage of allotments, perhaps you might think about sharing with somebody who wants to grow food for their family, not wildflowers?

(I recently gave up half my plot as I couldn't manage it all; I was going to just grow flowers, but thought that was a bit selfish with the waiting lists as long as they are)
                    I wondered who would pick up on that

Unfortunately it is a privately run allotment and there are lots of strict rules and regs including not subletting or dividing it up. Most of the other holders with a plot the same size as mine have divided it in half and planted grass as well.

It does seem a bit of a shame but I think the fact that the site is very isolated and has no amenties (ie no water or proper access) makes it less desirable. Apparently there wasn't a lot of interest in the plot..... which I admit I found suprising.

As I can't utilise the space at the moment (things may change) I figured grass was better than wasting time constantly battling weeds on an area I'm not using.

Besides I have a wider view of what's "useful" to the general environment which I won't go into on this thread involving sustaining the local wildlife poulation, especially pollinating insects. I'm sure you will agree that this benefits anyone growing food crops?

Comment

Originally posted by tootles View Post
                      How big is it??

P.s. welcome
                      Its not THAT big - I am prone to exaggerating...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X