Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Cambridgeshire

Hi all

I joined the forum yesterday and have been exploring the threads tonight and thought I should pop up and introduce myself here.

I'm a relatively new gardener. I'd grown cherry tomatoes in a potting shed when I was a teen many years ago, and then patio tomatoes and chilli's last year when I lived in a ground floor flat with no garden to speak of.

This year, about May time, I moved to a lovely rental house with a decent enough garden and nearly entirely empty border, so I'd had a go at growing a few things. Since I was a bit late getting to it, it was mostly young plants from the local B&Q or Homebase, but I also tried a few from seed (hurray, corn on the cob! I think I got all of 4 or 5 from 16 plants but certainly a novelty and tasty too). I really loved the experience of having produce I'd nurtered, it's such a great thrill and I think I'm hooked now.

Anyhow, I joined because I'm keen to learn more. I've been avidly reading up about different plants I want to grow this next year and attempting to plan where stuff will go, which is tough. Must admit there's so much I'd like to grow but obviously don't want to overdo it with it being only my 2nd year and so inexperienced!

I'm also quite keen on fruits, just bought a set of blueberry bushes, a pink gooseberry bush and plenty of strawberries for my generously sized strawberry planter that was a gift. Hoping this will cut down next summers grocery bills.

Hi and welcome, you have definetly come to the right place you will pick up lots of advice about gyo + many other things!!!! fab knowledgeable bunch here but i must warn you it is more addictive than chocolate

Belle

Comment

Hello & Wecome!!Deffo a fountain of knowledge(in many a field!!)to be found here!!!We're hoping to grow a heck of a lot more fruit next year,so will prob catch up with you on the fruity threads!
      I've found many an answer on here...even when I've been unaware of the question!!!Lots of great peeps with great ideas!
      the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Welcome to the vine Where in the country are you? It helps if you put your location on your profile for when you've got questions (some places are wetter / warmer / colder than others)
        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

ooooooooooooops sorry only just noticed the thread title!!! Too early for me this morning
          My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Originally posted by hansaplatz View Post
            plenty of strawberries for my generously sized strawberry planter that was a gift. Hoping this will cut down next summers grocery bills.
            hi and welcome.
            Watch out that your strawberry planter doesn't dry out ... the design of them makes even watering pretty difficult, and strawbs hate to be dry.

If you can, pop a length of narrow gauge pipe down the middle of the planter, and fill it with gravel then water into it. If you can't, make sure you mix water-retaining granules or shredded washing-up sponges into your compost mix.

Good luck, home grown strawbs are brilliant.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              hi and welcome.
              Watch out that your strawberry planter doesn't dry out ... the design of them makes even watering pretty difficult, and strawbs hate to be dry.

If you can, pop a length of narrow gauge pipe down the middle of the planter, and fill it with gravel then water into it. If you can't, make sure you mix water-retaining granules or shredded washing-up sponges into your compost mix.

Good luck, home grown strawbs are brilliant.
              Yup, I had two of the plants in the ground this year - they didn't make many at once with it being their first year but it was enjoyable to have a few every few days and hopefully having plenty of plants + the two older ones I'll get a decent enough crop for me and my partner this coming year.

I'll have to try the thing with the pipe if I can get my hands on some, having potted them up already I'd hate to have to dig them up.

I must ask, just how much water do they need in the winter time? I hadn't been watering extra because we seemed to have a reasonably regular amount of rain and it hadn't crossed my mind they'd require anymore.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X