Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK so do I have the smallest growing plot?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK so do I have the smallest growing plot?

Firstly a big hello to you all *waves* I’ve been looking at the 2007 winners and there is clearly a lot of talent on this site!

Secondly as my introductory thread I’d like to know if I have the record for the smallest growing area. I currently (looking to move soon as I need a garden) live in a flat in London with a balcony that is 5m by just 70cm. I’ve done pretty well with it though, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, onions, strawberries, garlic and a small mountain of herbs.

One advantage to growing veg on a balcony 4 stories up is that I’ve only ever found one snail on my plants. I was so impressed by him I left him to munch for a couple of hours before transferring him to the local park

I used to have a balcony like yours ... I only had 3 metres though. Wind was the main problem.

I hung baskets from anything I could, and grew lettuce, tomatoes and herbs in them.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Very impressive! Keep up the good work. How about that snail? He must have been determined!
      Tori

Comment

It's the narrowness that's the issue really; I’ve filled it so full of pots that I struggle to get past them to water the ones at the end! Too much enthusiasm not quite enough fore thought.

It’s still an improvement though as before this I only had a windowsill. I did OK with that got some really good chilli and strawberry crops.

Comment

Originally posted by Tori View Post
          Very impressive! Keep up the good work. How about that snail? He must have been determined!
          Well if he didn't come in on one of our shoes as my OH seems to insist (the cynical fool ) it was worth the effort, he feed VERY well!

Comment

hi, and welcome to the vine.

glad the link was useful, there are quite a few Cousin Jacks on the forum. hope that you find plenty of great advice and lots of new friends on here.
            Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
            Bob Dylan

Comment

hi welcome to the site, its great here xx
              http://www.paintingsussex.co.uk

Comment

welcome to the vine zem, it's suprising just what you can grow in containers. wish i only had one snail to contend with!

Comment

Welcome. 1 snail would do me fine, however I spose I shant be seeing that luxury again
                  Bob Leponge
                  Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X