Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello *wave*

Hello

I've lurked around the forum for ages, so now that I've finally registered (I actually had a question that hadn't already been answered) I'd like to say a huge 'thank you' to everyone who gives up their time & knowledge here. I've learnt so much from you all & this forum was a massive help to us in our first year allotment in 2022 - I've even been able to pass on some of your sage advice to others

By way of introduction, me & the other half have a small plot in SE Wales. We're pretty high up (at 1250ft we're the highest town in Wales) but our plot is sheltered from high winds & gets the sun all day (when there is any). Having cleared most of the plot of the usual inherited detritus last year, our nemeses are bindweed, bits of broken glass at the top end, random plastic bits & the weather not failing to scupper our sowing/planting plans . The ground is basically clay so we have much work to do to improve that (our own compost is a work in progress). This year we've been trying to improve on last year crop-wise & work on the bones of the plot: repurposing a decrepit greenhouse as a brassica shelter, adding a new shed & much needed bench, with plans for a boundary fence hopefully later on.

I look forward to joining in with you all

Hello,welcome to the forum I lurked for years before I joined too Your plots high up,if we wave you can probably see us

Comment

Thanks Jungle Jane,

We're just off the edge of the Brecon Beacons National Park so are blessed to have some fabulous views around here (when it's not raining and you can actually see further than the end of your nose lol).

Comment

Welcome, Andraste
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

Thanks mothhawk

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Andraste keep posting and you’ll soon feel at home here.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Hello and welcome (again )

"The usual inherited detritus", "compost is a work in progress"... you're an old hand already by the sounds of it.

Best wishes for the rest of the growing year and with your assorted projects.

Comment

And a big welcome to the Vine from me too. It’s always lovely to both share and gain advice isn’t it?

Sounds like you are already in the swing of things. Our first plots were heavy clay but after several years of care they became really productive.
                Later to start in the year though as the ground was always a tad colder than elsewhere
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Welcome Andraste!
                  I love your idea of repurposing a decrepit greenhouse as a brassica shelter, I hope you'll post some pics!
                  Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
                  Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

Hello again Bren In Pots, Snoop Puss & Nicos

I wouldn't consider myself an old hand - it implies much more real practical experience than I have but we're learning all the time. Most of my knowledge was either passively absorbed whilst spending time with my grandfather (who really did 'know his onions') or has been from almost obsessive reading about growing since we took on the plot

Comment

Hi Peanut

We don't have a 'Day 1' photo but do have some from not long after, albeit that the other half had already done a good bit of clearing before they were taken. I've also (hopefully) attached on of the brassica defense system from earlier in the year (it's now home to the 'tall stuff' that gets too big for our hoops so some Brussels, PSB, Kale & Calabrese).

Comment

Originally posted by Andraste View Post
                        Hi Peanut

We don't have a 'Day 1' photo but do have some from not long after, albeit that the other half had already done a good bit of clearing before they were taken. I've also (hopefully) attached on of the brassica defense system from earlier in the year (it's now home to the 'tall stuff' that gets too big for our hoops so some Brussels, PSB, Kale & Calabrese).
                        Thanks for the pics; that looks fantastic! What a great idea. You've got my mind racing now...
                        Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
                        Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

No probs Peanut

Amazing what you can do with a bit of scaffolding net & some cable ties lol. You might notice the plot behind thought it was a fine idea too so we may be starting a trend

It is pegged down as it gets a bit windy here 'up top' but it'll be a fairly easy job to take the pegs out & shuffle it over to a new spot next year. We did consider making a base with 2x4 to give it a bit more strength & weight but we were too lazy & wanted to crack on with putting the Calabrese in when it came down to it (maybe next year?)

It sure is nice not to have to take off the net or shimmy in every time we need to weed & the plants can stay protected for much longer as I'm fairly certain they won't grow up to the roof

Edit for rubbish spelling
                          Last edited by Andraste; 27-07-2023, 11:22 AM.

Comment

peanut you may want to rethink whether our greenhouse frame thingy is a good idea .

It did do a great job but we got a call from the site secretary today to let us know ours got blown to the next plot's far fence in the winds last night & is totally mangled!

We've not been to assess the damage yet as the secretary & another kind committee member have already gathered the remains & returned them to our plot for us (I do hope our PSB which was inside is still standing - other than some Kale the rest was pretty much finished anyway). Thankfully there aren't any crops standing in next door's ground so no damage caused there.

Anyway, anyone thinking of repurposing a greenhouse frame this way will need to be very vigilant about weighting it down. We thought we'd done a decent job with pegs and some surplus bits of wood but clearly not good enough. In retrospect I wish we'd made that 2x4 base and at least tried tying some water-filled 4-pint milk jacks to the corners or something.

Never mind, we live & learn & OH has been dying for an excuse to construct pots-on-canes framework for netting (a la Monty Don) I guess if we use 8ft canes we'll still be able to stand in it & be able to packing it away in the shed rather than risk the winter weather.

Comment

Aw no that wind was pretty bad though. I hope your PSB is still standing.
                              Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X