Hi there from Mill Hill

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi there from Mill Hill

I have gardened for many years but this year was the first that I've tried growing veggies. I managed to get an allotment near my home and spent most of this summer getting it sorted but was able to grow some things too.
    I found this forum when I was googling for advice and love the friendliness and chat. Have been registered for a while but just forgot to introduce myself - how rude!! Apologies to all
    My allotment is on a south facing (rather steep) hill - and I have found that the wind is pretty rough - it actually snapped off two mature courgette plants. Shortly after that my allotment was adorned by 3 rather garish beach windbreaks set up to protect the plants. Certainly was an icebreaker with the other allotmenteers - they all came to have a look (and a chuckle)
    Looking forward to next year - can't wait to start sowing and planting.

Jan

Hi there, welcome to the Vine
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

welcome to the vine.

I guess it it a steep hill at least you get good drainage.
      Last edited by BrideXIII; 09-12-2008, 10:50 PM.
      Vive Le Revolution!!!
      'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
      Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Apology accepted & welcome to the vine!and here's to a speedy winter so's we can all start planting again!
        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by jogette View Post
          I have found that the wind is pretty rough - it actually snapped off two mature courgette plants. Shortly after that my allotment was adorned by 3 rather garish beach windbreaks set up to protect the plants.
          hi Jan, nice to meet you.
          You'll find a really effective windbreak is about 50% permeable (ie, holey), so the wind gets filtered rather than stopped. Like a hedge is a filter.

Slit some holes in your beach windbreaks ... otherwise, you might find they get picked up and blown into Kent one day.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi there- and welcome to the Vine
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hello and welcome. I'd love to have seen your windbreaks! At least the winter gives us a great excuse to natter on here. Glad you've joined in!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Welcome Jogette. Mill Hill and your name casts the old mind back.
                Used to be a military camp there, they were the army posties, may even still be there.
                Happy days running cross country round the leafy lanes of Mill Hill in my youth.
                Sure the vine will be very useful for you indeed.
                Bob Leponge
                Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

I live quite close to Inglis Barracks - alas no more and about to be redeveloped. The population density has probably quadrupled since you were here Bob, still quite nice and green but doesn't have that 'country' feel anymore (

Jogette

Comment

Hello and welcome to the nut house!
                    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

hi and welcome to the Vine. I'm new to this as well but these guys are great on here!

Nicnac

Comment

Originally posted by nicnac View Post
                        hi and welcome to the Vine. I'm new to this as well but these guys are great on here!

Nicnac
                        Yup, the Guys are great - it's us Girls you've gotta watch!
                        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

*snigger snigger
                          Love ya Glutton you're darn right

I've spent many an hour on the norty step with me mates

Hi Jogette welcome to the madhouse. Post a piccy of the windbreaks the Hill at Mill Hill is a biggy I can imagine the wind. Mind you even when I lived in Barnet a few months Mill Hill was that there London place even Barnet was scary to a country bumpkin like me. Good luck with the lottie.
                          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X