Blackthorn hedge

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackthorn hedge

Hi everyone, I stumbled on this forum when I was looking for advice on planting a new blackthorn hedge. I retired in 2007 after serving B.T. for 41 years. I look forward to working in the garden when/if the weather improves.

Regards, Mikey

Welcome to the Vine
    I planted a short blackthorn hedge on my allotment last winter, and it established really well so far. I'm looking forward to my own sloes, but I think it might be another year or two yet Where are you planting yours?

Comment

Welcome to the vine!
      http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi and welcome!
        Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Hi and welcome. I helped to plant a native hedge at the school where I worked before retirement. We planted 2 staggered rows of young plants (about 2 - 3 ft tall) and about 18" apart with a foot between the two rows. Don't know if that helps? You end up with a good thick hedge even though you can clip it closely if you wish. If you let it have its own way you get a lovely dense 'wild' looking hedge covered with white froth in May and lovely sloes in September/October.

Good luck with it.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
            Welcome to the Vine
            I planted a short blackthorn hedge on my allotment last winter, and it established really well so far. I'm looking forward to my own sloes, but I think it might be another year or two yet Where are you planting yours?
            I'm planting mine between next doors "garden/bombsite" and mine. He has bought a dog which is the size of a donkey. It keeps coming in to my garden and digging up the lawn. I put up a temporary plastic fence which the dog has decided to eat!! I've spoken to the next door neighbour and he keeps promising to put up a proper fence. He's done nothing yet so I'll grow the hedge.
            I've put in about 10 bareroot plants but I've also bought 15 pot grown blackthorn plants which I'll plant when the ground thaws.

Regards, Mikey

Comment

I've got a German Shepherd, but we upgraded our boundaries before we got the dog I'd be tempted to invest in an electric stock fence whilst the hedge grows Good luck!

Comment

Unfortunately, my neighbour tends to act first, (buying the dog), and then thinks about it, ( it IS a bit big isn't it. And it's only 3 months old). I may invest in a cattle prod!!

Mikey

Comment

Spursboy, good luck with your hedge. My Hubby worked for T.E the equivelent of your job but in Irish Telecom. He is retired 10 years now and is second in command as i am the gardener. I hope you enjoy your gardening as much as he has.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Blackthorn grows very sloe-ly!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

sloe-ly and gin-gerly

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                        Spursboy, good luck with your hedge. My Hubby worked for T.E the equivelent of your job but in Irish Telecom. He is retired 10 years now and is second in command as i am the gardener. I hope you enjoy your gardening as much as he has.
                        Bramble, when your Hubby worked for T.E., was he one of the engineers who came to work temporarily in Wales? If he did, I may have played golf with him.

Regards, Mikey

Comment

Why are you called Spursboy61? Please?
                          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Originally posted by Jardiniere View Post
                            Why are you called Spursboy61? Please?
                            Because I am a Tottenham Hotspur, (Spurs), supporter, and I started following them in the 1961/62 season when they won the F.A.cup,(showing my age now!). I've been stuck with them ever since.

Mikey

Comment

Guessed as much - ditto my old man (husband) born within sound of the ground...followed them since birth - he uses spurs and 61 as part of a lot of his forum names (football and photography - not gardening).
                              We had season tickets for a few years but had to give up when we moved here ....watch them on the internet instead.....do you get to matches?
                              C'mon you spurs................
                              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X