Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joined today

Hi to everyone.

Only joined this morning and am hoping to share all the successes and failures that comes with growing your own.

Had an allotment briefly a couple of years ago but had to give it up as didn't have the time to devote to the weed infested plot I had been given! Was very disappointed that I never got to grow anything in it so decided to try growing my own salad and veg on a smaller scale at home.

I can't wait to get going on seed sowing but can't decide whether I'm going to make a raised bed or just put things in pots. Decisions, decisions...

welcome to the vine, i only started in july last year and evertone here was a great help. the main thing is to know it's a learning curve, last year i took up some space in my parents' raised beds and this year theyt are letting me dig up the lawn to make a veggie patch!

just see how it goes, and ask for whatever advice you need because the peeps on here are great

GOOD LUCK!
    Happy Gardening!

Comment

Welcome CC

I had a brief love/hate relationship with a plot 20+ years ago, that was a really evil bit of ground and had to give it up due to workload increasing but I've now had 3 plots for a few years and am not looking back.

No matter where you are growing or on what scale, there will always be plenty of advice on here.

Best of luck.
      I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocCosmos View Post
        Had an allotment briefly a couple of years ago but had to give it up as didn't have the time to devote to the weed infested plot I had been given!
        They are all weedy to start with aren't they?
        I am still digging couch & buttercup out of my raspberry bed every year... the weeds grow faster & stronger than anything else
        An allotment certainly takes a lot of time to get it cleared, up and running. Best of luck with your back yard growing, and welcome
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi and welcome
          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Hi CocoCosmos, welcome to the forum. To get you started on your new patch, have a look at this thread:
            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...mag_25863.html
            Best of luck.
            I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by annetteevans View Post
              welcome to the vine, i only started in july last year and evertone here was a great help. the main thing is to know it's a learning curve, last year i took up some space in my parents' raised beds and this year theyt are letting me dig up the lawn to make a veggie patch!

just see how it goes, and ask for whatever advice you need because the peeps on here are great

GOOD LUCK!
              Thanks. It's good to know the people are helpful. I'm certainly going to need all the advice I can get!

Exiting project you're going to have creating your veggie patch. I've still got some landscaping to do in garden (new wider lawn and maybe replace patio if budget allows) hence me pondering where I am going to grow my veggies. Think it may be in pots for this year until I know where I can make a more permanent raised bed.

Comment

Originally posted by Stacey Steve View Post
                Welcome CC

I had a brief love/hate relationship with a plot 20+ years ago, that was a really evil bit of ground and had to give it up due to workload increasing but I've now had 3 plots for a few years and am not looking back.
                Yes mine was dire. Full of couch and horsetail. It that wasn't bad enough, the allotmenteers either side of my plot were adjoining neighbours that didn't get on so I was stuck in the middle of their feuds! I'll be glad to have the peace and tranquility of my own garden and friendly neighbours just enquiring about what I'm growing!

Comment

Thanks Two Sheds. Growing at home should be easier on my back as well!

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                    Hi and welcome
                    Thanks Fiona

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
                      Hi CocoCosmos, welcome to the forum. To get you started on your new patch, have a look at this thread:
                      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...mag_25863.html
                      Best of luck.
                      Hi Terrier. The allotment has gone sadly hence me growing at home but hopefully next year will have my own plot in the garden.

Comment

welcome cc
                        you have made the best first move by joining the vine
                        its fantastic and the people are just brilliant as i have found ovrer the last two weeks
                        forget face book and myspace lol the vine is the one its the future lol
                        oh yes we are also a bit nutty on here as well as you will find out we like to have a laff as well as caring for our allotments and patches lol
                        only thing missing is a bar to buy drinks lol
                        so once again welcome pull up a computer chair chat for a while be happy
                        steve
                        dont take for granted that you hold dear
                        for once its gone you will miss it
                        and thats to late

Comment

Welcome to the vine - yep, sadly you have to bring your own drinks - but ask any questions you like. It makes us feel important if we know the answer!
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

welcome to the vine

I am still waiting for an allotment, better get one soon, the garden has been dug up, the windowsills are full, and at this rate i may have to take up the lounge floor!!!
                            Vive Le Revolution!!!
                            'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                            Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

ciggarette free same time as me lol keep goin
                              dont take for granted that you hold dear
                              for once its gone you will miss it
                              and thats to late

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts