Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from North Yorkshire

Hello,
    All you growing mad folk, this is the 1st post so with that out the way I would like as much advice as possible on my new plot just got it the other day and what do we get about 2 foot of snow

Well when that clears I have horsetare and all other weeds the person before me liked his rotavator? He didn't understand the weeds much then as has now provided many more for me to tackle.

Anyway any advice would be great for the task ahead.

I need to loose some winter fodder anyway so the hard work will be good.

Anyway I am here to learn so teach away and thanks for having me.....
    After all the digging needed to keep the weeds down yes that will be me one day.
    Just started on the plot or was that loosing the plot.

Keen to learn.

Welcome to the Vine Weed Reaper
    Top Tip - you'll never fully get rid of horestail, no matter how much you dig it, or weed killer it Just do your best, and try not to worry about it! I've been digging it up, chopping it's head off, pulling it, smothering it and even tried spraying it, for 2 years, and it's still there The good news is, it doesn't seem to take much from your crops in terms of water, nutrients or sun light!
    Good luck with it, and don't forget to enjoy it

Comment

Hello to you Weed reaper, from a fellow North York's dweller.Where exactly are you ?
      I have had my plot in York for a couple of years now but just really getting on top of it. Now is the ideal time to plan whilst you wait for the snow to melt !oh and get some seed pots chitting at home as they break up the soil lovely without too much weeding required then come summer you can get another crop in the spot.
      Depending on how much time you have and how big the plot is you could cover some with cardboard then manure and let nature kill the weeds and grass.. whilst you focus on another area.
      (But sounds like you know a little about it all given your rotavator comment.. had so much advice to use one, glad I didn't tho' )
      Happy digging

Comment

Hello SarzWix, Thanx for the great welcome yeah I am going to be very busy with the weed shence my name after reading about the Horsetail that prompted my name of the forum.

I will enjoy it when I get going.

Thanx
        After all the digging needed to keep the weeds down yes that will be me one day.

Keen to learn.

Comment

Hello Denise in York, I am not far in snowy Knaresborough.

I understand the task at hand but feel the need to embrace the weeds as for future comfort.
          I have not got going yet but researched the weeds a bit so I know what I am up against.
          The last plot holder liked ripping it all up and making more and more of the weed problem.

The plot is not ready to take anything apart from a folk and spade and its very wet maybe some sand may help what you think grit sand.

I am looking forward to getting going on it keen as all are at 1st I bet but want it to be a long term thing so feel the work must be done now to get better in time later.

Any tips are welcome and weed lovers are welcome to join in and help

Keen to learn.

Comment

Hi - I'm in East Yorks - so not a world away. Some weeds you never get shot of, but the main thing is - you WILL get loads of gorgeous veg - the exercise is a bonus. It makes you feel quite smug when people tell you how much they pay per month for gym membership!

Good luck with the new season.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
              Hi - I'm in East Yorks - so not a world away. Some weeds you never get shot of, but the main thing is - you WILL get loads of gorgeous veg - the exercise is a bonus. It makes you feel quite smug when people tell you how much they pay per month for gym membership!

Good luck with the new season.
              Hi Flummery, Thanks yes I will work out often on the plot as getting married soon no date yet my Lady will let me know when maybe this year maybe next I have siad I am fine with either aslong as her Mum & Dad have deep pockets

The plot when I get on it will need lots of work before anything can go in I like things to be neat and tidy so until it's sorted the planting will have to be on hold.

Just bought loads of seeds from ebay cheap as chips they will arrive soon then my kitchen will be a green house.

I will have to move my gallons of cider I made I found 4 apple trees last year while walking the dog and they get left to rot so I picked 5 bin bags full and made some cider it's wicked stuff

looking to get started as soon as the snow goes and the bog clears.

Keen to learn.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X