Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disenchanted but still trying

Hi All
    I lived in Surrey until 3 years ago and very successfully grew my flowers, hanging baskets, runner beans and tomatoes there. I now live at the top of a high hill overlooking the Cheshire plain. Beautiful view, but I can't get to grips with the climate or soil. I had hoped to spend more time growing vegetables but the ground is very sodden clay and very surprisingly wet for the top of a hill! You dig a hole and it fill with water...

In desperation I bought a greenhouse for the tomatoes but they have suffered blight each year. By the time the runner beans are ready it is too cold for them to produce many.

However, I tried courgettes last year and they were fantastic. Totally failed on peppers and cucumbers.

I have decided to grow mainly in patio containers this year. We have quite a big patio. I am going to use builders plastic rubble bags for some potatoes (my first attempt at potatoes). They are bright blue but hey it will add a it of colour lol. I have read the thread on this from beginning to end!

I have found that this site has given me more information about gardening than any books or videos and I only found it 2 days ago!

Better get sowing as I see that everyone has already got all their seedlings germinated and growing on their windowsills.

Any advice for this part of the country would be welcome.

Hi, Timemellowed, welcome to the forum. Don't worry, it's not just you who has suffered from the dreaded blight over the last few years, it seems a countrywide scurge at the moment. I'm just growing early potatoes this year because of the wet conditions over the last few years. We're all hoping for a longer Summer this time 'round. Good luck with your growing
    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Welcome.

You've got plenty of time to sow yet...don't panic!

Some of us sow early because we are mentalists...and have itchy fingers. But most of the main sowing is yet to come.

Looking after leggy seedlings keeps us off the streets.

Could you pop your new location into your profile, as you have seen different things work in different areas so letting everyone know where you are based helps on the advice front.

Comment

The stock answer for soil problems is to dig in lots of organic matter. This may take several years to get the optimum soil condition but clay is full of nutrients since they are not washed out easily so it's a good starting point.

I'd grow potatoes as these are relatively easy (blight permitting) and help break up the soil.

Keep trying with the runner beans, I think last year was not a good year for them.

You do appear to have a shorter growing season due to being on a hill, so perhaps you should concentrate on veg like leeks, parsnips, carrots, onions that will continue to grow slowly despite the colder temperatures. Although you did well with courgettes which are not frost hardy, so I recommend persevering and trying different varieties which are more suited to your climate.

We have veg growers from Scotland on here so they may be able to offer better advice than my ramblings.
        Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Originally posted by timemellowed View Post
          By the time the runner beans are ready it is too cold for them to produce many.
          I don't know when or how you sowed them, but try this:

1) sow in paper pots, indoors or under cover, about a month before your last frost
          2) harden off for 7-10 days
          3) plant out after your last frost (mid May ish)

that will get them off to an early start.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi and welcome. I know Mow Cop - Ma and Pa lived for many years in Macclesfield. When we used to go and stay it was one of the destinations for trips out!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Welcome to the Vine Timemellowed. There are plenty of Grapes well north of you and growing good gardens so don't get too disheartened I think you just need time to get to know your new garden and how to grow there.
              If your soil is heavy clay how about a couple of raised beds for vegetables.
              Is there a small area you could screen off to provide some wind protection for more tender things.
              You have your greenhouse and you can grow lots in containers.
              I hope we all have a better summer than we had last year and you have a very happy gardening year.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hello Timemellowed and a warm welcome to the vine!

Mow Cop is quite an exposed place but what amazing views, we grew up in the valley below (in Biddulph), and grew plenty of veg despite the clayish soil, so dont despair yet!

The past few years havent been good summers for growing, but you should still be able to get crops despite the elevated position and the poor summers of late!

I'd concentrate on improving the soil, providing as much protection from the wind as you can, and keep persevering. Lots of folk much farther north than us have good results, so perhaps trying some of the varieties they grow will work for you?

Anyhows, good luck and keep us posted as to how you get on!
                Last edited by Mrs Dobby; 18-02-2009, 02:34 PM. Reason: peslling
                Blessings
                Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

As has been said; loads of organic matter will break up your clay. You could think about windbreaks to protect your beds from some of the worst of the weather and they don't have to be ugly fencing either, try planting soft fruit bushes in a row, rather like a hedge, they'll protect your beds from wind and driven rain, but won't grow so tall that they block the summer sun. And they'll give you plenty of delicious berries into the bargain.

Oh, and welcome to the vine!
                  Last edited by bluemoon; 18-02-2009, 04:52 PM.
                  Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Timemellowed,

I havent put much in yet either, all I have growing at the mo, is: winter onions - hopefully! winter cabbage, & winter lettuce,

Im going to grow potatos in Large clearaway bags 80cm x 50cm diameter, & have got my second earlies called Kestrel, as theyre good for all types of cooking, roasting, chips etc. (but have yet to chit them) I normally start getting busy 2nd week of march as i dont have a proper greenhouse, but I have prepared the soil ready with some light fertiliser for the coming season.

Good luck with your garden

Tony.

Comment

Hi and welcome to the madhouse!
                      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Look at Grapes meetup northwest under General Chitchat
                        Go to nothwest meetup at Arley Hall it's not too far from yourself
                        Best wishes and see you there!

Comment

Thank you all for such a great welcome. Unfortunately I think I am away for the Meet up at Arley Hall :-(

I have been busy though, spurred on by the enthusiasm on this site. I have decided, after some research on the net to try Glacier Tomatoes as they grow in the mountains in Canada! They along with some Shirley Toms have germinated and are now on the window sill. My lobelia has also germinated and has joined them on the sill, Am still awaiting the peppers. My potatoes are showing some little green sprouts... It's all very exciting!

Flummery and Mrs Dobby, it's nice to know that people have heard of where I live :-)

Alice, Two Sheds, Bluemoon and Capsid - thanks for the advice - I will try and put some of the tips into practice.

Terrier and Zaz - thank you for the encouragement and helping make me feel less of a wally!
                          Last edited by timemellowed; 27-02-2009, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Hi TimeMellowed
                            My dad lives on the top of a hill on the Lancs/Yorkshire border, his soil is similar to yours - very wet, holes fill up with water. He has several springs which come up nearby, which is why the ground is so wet. He has done several things to improve the growing conditions.
                            Firstly, planted a hedge. His is leylandii, for it's quickness of growth, but hawthorn should do ok too if protected with windbreak netting til it's established. You should be able to keep it low enough to not spoil the view, but still give protection.

Secondly, dig a trench right round your growing area, at least one spade deep, but 2 is better, and fill it with hardcore (big gravel or broken bricks etc).
                            Or, at the lowest point of the garden, dig a really big trench (3 or 4 spades wide) and fill that with same. This will help to drain the soil.

Thirdly, raise your beds, if possible by a foot or more. Add plenty of organic matter, and horticultural grit.

The things that are making your plants struggle are the wind, and the cold soggy ground, but although the above is probably a long term project you can do some of it cheaply to begin with - a wind-break netting fence round the veggie patch would make a difference straight away.
                            Last edited by SarzWix; 27-02-2009, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Hi Timemellowed, welcome to the vine. I'm afraid I can't comment on your location but looks like you've had loads of good advice. Good luck with it all.
                              AKA Angie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X