Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello!

Just thought I would say hello.

My wife and I recently decided that we would have a go at growing our own veg. We've never grown anything before so we are complete newbies. I have a feeling we will be asking a lot of questions! We are both in are mid forties and just have the one child (Zander) at home now - three girls have flown the nest already. Zander is 6, so we will be trying to get him interested in growing something as well.

We live in a small village called Coleford in Somerset, and our garden is about 120 feet long and about 30 feet wide. It was previously all lawn as we have 3 dogs that need somewhere to run around, but we are in the process of fencing a 16 sq ft bit off and have made a raised bed out of wood. The raised bed is 10' by 4' and is 12'' deep. We are planning to make an identical one to go alongside it. I'm not completely sure what we will be trying to grow yet, but hopefully some carrots, parsnips, brassica, garlic, shallots, potatoes and runner beans.

I found this site by accident really, and it really is a godsend. I've subscribed to the magazine today too, so hopefully we will be learning a lot over the coming months!

Kind regards

Mark

Hello and welcome to the vine! Lots of good advice here. Let us know how you get on!!
    AKA Angie

Comment

hello and welcome

Comment

Hello...I'm sure you'll find all the help you need around here.

Comment

Hi Mark! So nice to have you in the Grape Family! Lots of great peeps on here oodles to learn about and have a good laugh while your at it!
          Live like you never lived before!

Laugh Like you never laughed before!

Love like you never loved before!

One Love & Unity

http://iriejans.blogspot.com/

Comment

Good to have yer.....the addiction starts here.

Comment

Welcome to the madvine, loadsa great advice from many who are so darned experienced, me I'm learning loads. You wait - when you decide to get chooks, then you'll seriously get addicted
              Last edited by HayleyB; 20-02-2009, 11:21 AM. Reason: typo
              Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Hi and welcome. You are NEVER so experienced that you can't learn something new!
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

hello nice to have you on the vine

Comment

it,s not just the information on growing in the magazine, they do some great recipes for what you grow

Comment

Hi and welcome. THe grapes are really a friendly and knowledgeable bunch (pun not intended) I'm only starting my second year so loads to learn....
                      Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X