newbie needing info please...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie needing info please...

Hi everyone, my name is manda. I'm also a newbie at gardening, and tend to pick things i like or want and then just plant them I'm hoping you can give me lots of help, so here goes.
    I need a little advice on how to go about planting the fruit trees i got today. My garden is on 2 levels and i've decided to block the top off for the dogs and i'm planning on slabbing the bottom area(26' x 20' approx) with some fruit trees in between the slabs with slate round the bases and a couple of benches to sit and relax on.
    Anyhow i got : Cherry : Helderfinger
    Peach : Red Haven
    Plum : Victoria
    Pear : Doyenne Du comice
    Nectarine : can't remember
    All from aldi, i've been told peaches do better againgst a fence- is this true? Have i got too many for my garden? should i put one up the top near the house to space them out more?
    Things tend to grow in my garden without too much hassle as i don't tend to mess once i've planted things. can you tell i'm new to this? Please offer your advice, i'm really excited about gardening for the first time in my life and it would be lovely to have fruit growing in our garden, i don't have loads of time so thats why i decided i'm going to slab the bottom half of the garden to make it easier but i am open to other peoples views as long as it can be easily maintained.
    Last edited by manda74; 20-02-2009, 08:51 AM.

Oooooh complicated question - might be why no-one hs had a go at answering yet! Welcome aboard by the way.
    Yes, peach trees appreciate the shelter - as do nectarines - of growing by a wall. They aren't as hardy as the plum and pear. Next doors had a victoria plum which is quite a hefty tree. You might need more space. The pear and cherry could end up large too.

Anyway, they have 2 chances - give them a go and good luck with them.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

hi ya manda
      peaches will do better on a south or south-west facing wall, but beware of frost arpril and may cover with old net curtain at night take off in morn to let bees in.most cherrys are not self fertile hope you have another in neighbours gardens.morello are self fertile but are a sour cherry good for pies and jams

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X