Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Newbie!

Hello there,

I live on the border between Cumbria, Lancashire and Yorkshire with my family of husband, 6 kids and 2 cats, and I've finally decided to take the plunge and start growing some veg to hopefully ease the shopping bill!

I have a large-ish (lawned) terraced garden, and have decided to put the veg at the bottom of the garden. I've seen these raised beds and think it's a brilliant idea but let me know if I'm being naive. I was thinking of starting out with maybe 2 1m sq beds - kids want to grow everything but would appreciate some advice.

Does anyone know if the raised beds have bottoms in them? Do I just plonk them down or do I need to dig over the lawn?

Any help/advice appreciated!

Hi stukinarut and welcome! If you're buying the raised beds in kit form, then no they don't have bottoms. I would suggest that if the raised beds are no more than 6 inches deep, you would be better to dig the grass up or it might grow through!! If you cut out the lawn in small sections where your raised beds are going to go and then turn the turf upside down you can then put compost on top of it and the turf should break down by itself.
    AKA Angie

Comment

Hi and welcome to the madhouse
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Brilliant suggestion, thanks very much!

Comment

Hello stukinarut,

& welcome to the forum..what are you going to grow this year?

Tony.

Comment

Hi, welcome to the vine

Comment

and a welcome from me as well

Comment

Hi and welcome. Decide what you and the kids want to grow. Look at the time to harvest as well. EG you don't want onions taking up half your bed as the take a long time to mature This should help you decide what you will put in good luck
                Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X