Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• halloooo...

Hello All!

My name is dan... I finally managed to get my hands on an allotment plot last summer (shared with our neighbours!). Now after lots of weeding, rotivating, grass cutting and terrible shed building (best not mention the guttering!)... I think we're almost ready to get going with the allotment this year...

I decided to join up as when I have been looking into where to start... I am seriously clueless... the grapevine seems to be a very good source of information.

We have a somewhat large plot, not sure about the specific dimensions, but it is basically a blank canvas if you ignore the one or two "attempts" we made at growing things in a small section in the back end of last year. We have been lucky enough to befriend some of the lads at the local tip and have fixed up four or five water butts as there is no water available at the site but this doesnt seem to matter too much...

anyway hello from me!
    Dazed and Confused (where do i begin?!?!?)

Hi there and welcome

Well the logical start would be to decide what you want to grow - preferably what you eat..... , As to and specific answers, I'm sure those who know more than me(which is most here ...lol) will be able to help. Good advice I've seen, is use the search function. There's loads of info about! Good luck with your ventures and as long as your shed is standing and relatively water tight, does it really matter what it looks like?
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Hi Dan welcome to the vine! good on you with the lottie!
      Live like you never lived before!

Laugh Like you never laughed before!

Love like you never loved before!

One Love & Unity

http://iriejans.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hello Dan, welcome to the vine.
        A blank canvas how exciting! As Redthorn suggests, grow what you like to eat!
        Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Hello Dan and welcome to the Vine

Comment

Hi Dan, welcome to the Vine

It can be a bit daunting looking at all that space, and knowing where to start!
            Best thing is to sit down and make a list of all the veggies you like to eat, and the ones you'd like to try. Then divide the list up into 'family' groups, then you can work out where to put everything. If you go to the 'front page' of the Vine and put 'Crop Rotation' into the search, that should give you some helpful threads.
            Then you should buy your seeds, seed potatoes and onion sets, if you haven't already, and then work out a diary of what you should sow and plant when.
            Then, get stuck in

Have lots of fun, and enjoy the outdoors, I'm convinced we're going to have a great summer this year

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
              I'm convinced we're going to have a great summer this year
              Step right up! You heard it here first folks!
              Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Hi and welcome Dan. Many people start with spuds - you can put them in from March in most places, and digging them up to eat helps to break up the soil. New potatoes you've grown yourself beat ANYTHING the shops try to sell you.

Grow your favourites - they will definitely taste better than shop ones too. And grow expensive stuff. (If you like it of course!)

Good luck with it.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Welcome to the vine Dan!!
                  AKA Angie

Comment

Hi and welcome to the vine.
                    Happy Gardening,
                    Shirley

Comment

Hi and welcome - enjoy the digging

As Auntie Flum said, grow the stuff that's expensive to buy (if you like it) that way you save money, and you'll soon discover yours tastes better anyway!
                      Last edited by Glutton4...; 23-02-2009, 05:40 PM.
                      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Hello Dan, & welcome to the vine,

This is a great place for info - as you can see from all those suggestions above, & everyones a friendly bunch, i wish you great success with whatever you decide to grow.

TonyO.

Comment

Hi Dan welcome to the madhouse, joking aside loads of info on here x Belle

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X