Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss Locksley speaking...

...is there anyone there?! Hello!

I'm a bit new to gardening and I'm very keen to make it work! I have a very poor track record with houseplants, and I've never had a garden of my own (and still don't) but I helped out on an allotment two years ago and had a wonderful time. As I was under-gardener rather than head-gardener, I failed to learn very much, but I got a real kick out of watching things grow and it wasn't as hard work as I thought, and was a fun thing to do with company - I'm not sure I'd last long on my own!

This year I've decided to try some edible crops from containers on our patio, so I have planned a redcurrant bush, some carrots, lettuce, beetroot and runner beans. I hope that's not going to be too ambitious, and I'm sure I'm going to need a lot of advice!

If anyone knows anything about minature rose houseplants too, or can direct me somewhere, that'd be ace, 'cause I bought one as an impulse buy in Homebase three weeks ago and it's flagging already . I do wonder whether they are a bit like fairground goldfish though, and aren't ever really meant to survive!

Yours,
    Miss Locksley

Originally posted by Miss_Locksley View Post
    ...is there anyone there?! Hello!
    only us chickens
    Hello to Miss Locksley, welcome to an oh so friendly mad house!

... I do wonder whether they are a bit like fairground goldfish though, and aren't ever really meant to survive!
    and I think you'd be right to think that!
    aka
    Suzie

Comment

Hi Miss Locksley and welcome to the vine! I have a bad track record with houseplants too I'm afraid. Can't help you with the rose but I have grown a lot of veg in containers!!
      AKA Angie

Comment

For a start, try cut and come again loose leaf lettuce in a shallow, wide container, or a grow bag with panels cut out of the top - really easy and virtually fool- proof. Not that I am implying that you are in any way a fool, although it can help around here!

Welcome to the vine
        Never say never!

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Please, I would rather be treated as a fool and get an overabundance of information than as someone who knows anything at all, and fail! At present I'm just trying to work out why my little picture hasn't come up next to my name. I'm about as good with technology as I am with plants...!

Yours,
          Miss Locksley

Comment

Horse sh*t - for the Rose I mean

For the Veg in containers - go for it - I'll be doing the same (I'm new to this too)

...and welcome to the 'Vine too lol!
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Please, I would rather be treated as a fool and get an overabundance of information than as someone who knows anything at all, and fail! At present I'm just trying to work out why my little picture hasn't come up next to my name. I'm about as good with technology as I am with plants...!

Yours,
              Miss Locksley
              Did you remember to click on 'save changes' at the bottom?
              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Hello there,

Yes, I did! And when I go to the "View My Profile" thing, the little picture is there but it doesn't seem to be showing up in my messages. I wouldn't normally mind, but I was so thrilled to have found a picture of me the last time I was doing any gardening. I was three, as is demonstrated by the size of the wheelbarrow I am trying to push.

Yours,
                Miss Locksley

Comment

Hi and welcome. You need to save the pic in the avatar page not your details page...
                  Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Pic looks good on your Public profile by the way

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Comment

Ah HA!. Thank you very much! I will give that a go... standby for vaguely amusing picture...

Yours,
                      Miss Locksley

Comment

Like it It looks like a treasured memory....

Comment

Welcome to the Vine Miss Locksley. Your little picture is there now.
                          You're right about the minature roses and fairground goldfish. Doomed !
                          Good luck with your container growing. You'll find lots of information and help on here, and get a laugh while you're doing it.
                          Look forward to your posts.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Welcome little one, great pic.
                            Bob Leponge
                            Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Hi Miss locksley - welcome to the vine.

I've never been a great one with house plants either - its funny, I forget to water them, but don't forget to water the garden when it needs it!!

good luck with what you grow this year.

TonyO.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X