Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Aberdeen!

Hi!

Well, I'm Elizabeth from Aberdeen. Saw this site in the GYO mag.

I did have an allotment, but injury, illness, work and weather over the last year have conspired and I hardly ever got down. So I'll probably have to give it up - maybe re-apply later...

So what am I doing on here then? Well, I have a verandah that gets a fair bit of light (hesitate to say sun in Scotland! ) I've loads of windowledges too!

I'd really like to grow veg in containers. I'm planning on starting with carrots in 2 litre Coke bottles. Did I claim to be 100% sane? No. Check my Username...

All help/hints very welcome!
    Last edited by basketcase; 06-03-2009, 01:03 PM.

welcome neighbour,not much of a container gardener,but I'm sure others will help and I look forwards to hearing how you get on.

Comment

Welcome to the madvine, sounds like you'll fit in just fine, most of us are not totally sane

I would try buckets as you won't get many carrots to the bottle and I'd be knocking them over all the time. Last year I grew carrots in Tubtrugs and have garlics sprouting out of all sorts at the moment including an old wheelbarrow. I do have a front garden 'lottie' as well though.

I'm growing potatoes in bags in the driveway this year as there's a lot of wasted space there
      Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Hi burnie & hayley

Thanks for the welcome!

Hayley, I'm not planning on growing many to the bottle. Just thought that as it's fairly chilly in Aberdeen, I could use the bottle as a propagator then, without disturbing the root, remove the top bit and let the carrot grow on. Can also plant sequentially and remove a few bottles at a time.

Only having a verandah means there's not an awful lot of room for buckets Plus they don't look too good on window sills! On the up-side, you don't get many carrot flies on the first floor!

Comment

Originally posted by basketcase View Post
          Hi burnie & hayley

I could use the bottle as a propagator then, without disturbing the root, remove the top bit and let the carrot grow on.
          Now that is clever
          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Welcome to the vine basketcase!
            AKA Angie

Comment

Hi and welcome. You'll fit in here!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi, and welcome to the madhouse (I don't think anyone nicked my line this time )
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by HayleyB View Post
                  Now that is clever
                  Why thank you...

Comment

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

Comment

Welcome, love the name!
                      WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Greetings BC, I'm just down the road from you.

Comment

Welcome to the Vine Basketcase. Where there's a will there's a way so I'm sure you'll manage to grow quite a few things on your verandah.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X