X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peak District Newbie

Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce myself

Things have moved very fast for me in terms of vegetable growing, from starting talking about the idea of growing patio veg a month ago to been given free use of a somewhat overgrown football pitch sized plot last week

As a newbie this could be quite daunting but I have decided to start in one corner and clear a good sized area for use as soon as possible (May) in the hope of getting some Sweetcorn and Squash planted "Two Sister" style and some maincrop spuds, anything more than this will be a bonus as I am still gone ahead with container growing on my patio for early spuds, round carrots, baby beetroot, strawberries, salad and tomatoes.

Once the first area is done I plan to clear another area for planting and so on until I have enough space to grow everything I want. Long term I am looking at chickens but not just yet as don't want to take on more than I can handle.

Its a steep learning curve and growing is already taking over my life, but I am here to make friends, share and benefit from the experience of others.

I am full of hope and excited at the prospect of my family and friends sitting down to eat fruit and vegetables that I have grown

Greetings from the Peak District

Hi welcome to the Vine! I think your plan of starting amanageable patch is a good one
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Hi & welcome, as Fi says I think it's very sensible to start with a smaller area first.
      AKA Angie

Comment

Hi there and Welcome.

Comment

Hi there and welcome goodluck and hears wishing you many years partaking in this addiction....just you wait until you've got some chooks!
          Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Need to read up on Chooks before I get any, Im sure there is a lot to learn and I want them to be happy

Comment

Hello and welcome! Sounds like you've got some great plans so good luck as this season's growing kicks off. Where in the Peak District are you?
              I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Welcome to the vine Jilly!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Rhona View Post
                  Hello and welcome! Sounds like you've got some great plans so good luck as this season's growing kicks off. Where in the Peak District are you?
                  Not far from you I bet, Hope Valley

Comment

Hi Jilly - welcome. I started my garden veg patch when we moved here 10 years ago and I did a third of it the first year, a third the second, finished the area the third and then started edging the beds with wood. I think you are right to set yourself managable targets or you'll get discouraged.

Having said that - I now have half an allotment too - I blame the people here for encouraging me!
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X